• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How do I install one of these trigger stop things?

Started by chinaboy, December 30, 2011, 01:12:08 AM

chinaboy

On the Silhouette's and 2300's there is a little screw that stops the trigger after it has been pulled just bellow the trigger.   Can a person install one of these on there own?  Are they beneficial?  Or should I just order the 2300 trigger frame?     I don't have much equipment besides a hand held power drill.  Yet, I don't want to spend on a trigger frame if a special drill bit, screw and craftiness is all I need.

I'm working on building a nice trigger for my 1377.   

mustangmike

well ur gonna first need to figure out how big and long of a screw ur gonna want, then yuou need to know the thread size and get ur self a tap and dye kit to cut the threads after drilling the hole..

harbor freight has some decent tap n dye kits.. i got mine for about 20 bucks and its like a 30 or 40 piece kit
.22 disco, leapers 3-12x40 IR AO
.22 ccs 2400, leapers 4x32 (awaiting barrel swap & 7.5tko)
.22 gamo bigcat, rds
.177 walther 99q, low profile laser sight

Crosshairs

It can be done by you just drill and tap a hole i think it's a 8/32 alan screw but not sure it's just a over travel screw it stops the trigger from moving right after the trigger is pulled.
                                    Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

chinaboy

Thanks for the quick replies!  That sounds easy enough with a tap and dye set.  This makes me think that maybe I could add another barrel stabilizing screw my breech as well.  It seems like the same procedure.  Awesome.  And I'm going to take a look at that kit.    Thanks

Crosshairs

Quote from: chinaboy on December 30, 2011, 01:54:04 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!  That sounds easy enough with a tap and dye set.  This makes me think that maybe I could add another barrel stabilizing screw my breech as well.  It seems like the same procedure.  Awesome.  And I'm going to take a look at that kit.    Thanks
Yep i added another screw on the breech on my free floating barrel 2240 build.
                          Mike

breakfastchef

I added a over travel screw to a 1377 using a <$5 8-32 tap and drill pack from Lowes. The pack contains the proper sized drill bit and a tap to make the threads. Pick up some 8-32 set screws and you are all tooled up.

The angle to set the drill is roughly parallel with the grip frame. Drilling is pretty easy in the soft metal of the frame. Make a little divot in the frame so the drill bit does not wander.

Larry

Colt25

Quote from: Crosshairs on December 30, 2011, 02:10:59 AM
Yep i added another screw on the breech on my free floating barrel 2240 build.
                          Mike

Where did you get that grip frame? I need to get me one if them.

Crosshairs

Quote from: Colt25 on December 30, 2011, 07:45:52 PM
Where did you get that grip frame? I need to get me one if them.
I got the frame and grip from Crosmods, it has a real sweet trigger pull. :-*
                                   Mike

JEBert

QuoteI added a over travel screw to a 1377 using a <$5 8-32 tap and drill pack from Lowes. The pack contains the proper sized drill bit and a tap to make the threads. Pick up some 8-32 set screws and you are all tooled up.
The angle to set the drill is roughly parallel with the grip frame. Drilling is pretty easy in the soft metal of the frame. Make a little divot in the frame so the drill bit does not wander.
X2 on the tap & drill bit pack from Lowe's.  Actually, I used a 6-32 instead of 8-32 and picked up a couple of 6/32X1/4" stainless steel set screws from Home Depot because Lowe's didn't have any that small.  The ones that come from the Crosman Custom shop are 8-32 but I like my 6-32 setscrews better.  See pic.  Man that dust shows up badly with the flash!  I'll have to remember to dust everything off before I take pictures next time.
I used my Dremel and the flex-shaft attachment to drill the hole more closely parallel to the grip portion of the frame.  A regular drill chuck won't let you do as nice of a job.  And DO use a center-punch to prevent the bit from walking.  It will walk badly if you don't!
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

JEBert

QuoteThis makes me think that maybe I could add another barrel stabilizing screw my breech as well.  It seems like the same procedure.
Pretty much the same procedure.  It goes easier with a drill press.  The hard part is deciding how many and where.  I decided on two because it seemed to keep things "balanced" for lack of a better term.  If I remember correctly, I spaced these 1.25" from the original screw but I don't rememeber why I chose 1.25".  I did use 8-32 setscrews for these to match the one already here.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

chinaboy

Ok, I bought an 8-32NC dye.   The dye says it goes with a #29 drill bit.  The store didn't have a #29 drill bit, but I do have a 1/8 and a 9/64 bit.  I think the 9/64 looks like it would work best.  Do you think I could use the 9/64 without a problem or should I run and get a #29?

mr007s

Quote from: chinaboy on December 30, 2011, 11:19:09 PM
Ok, I bought an 8-32NC dye.   The dye says it goes with a #29 drill bit.  The store didn't have a #29 drill bit, but I do have a 1/8 and a 9/64 bit.  I think the 9/64 looks like it would work best.  Do you think I could use the 9/64 without a problem or should I run and get a #29?

The #29 is .136"
9/64 is .140

The 9/64 will work, just don't let it wallow around. If you do not get a tight thread your set screw will not stay in position. Probably good to put a drop of blue Loc Tite on it once it is set where you want it.

chinaboy

Ok, I did it.  It wasn't that hard.  I did use the 1/8 bit and it worked well.  I ended up taking my trigger out for the dye to completely thread the tapped hole.  Once I had the trigger out I thought why not sand it to bring out the silver color.  I then switched all my screws that I got from Mike's Garage.  The 8-32 screw to stop the trigger is temporary until I get a smaller screw.  I tried to attach a picture for the first time so I hope it works. 

Next step it to add some set screws to the breech.  I want to dod some more research so I don't biff it up first.  Thanks for the help dudes!  I think my trigger looks sweet now.   :-*

gdm620

Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

Plasticman