M417 1st Impressions

Started by arkmaker †, January 05, 2012, 09:44:11 PM

arkmaker †

Took it out of the box, mounted a 4x32 on it and went outside. Fired 5 shots, all at 5 pumps at a distance of 10 yards.

Don't like it at all. It was awkward to pump and loud. Really never got it sited in correctly as I would have needed another 5-10 shots, but since, I was just not into pumping this clunker, I decided to stop and put it back in the box for another time. If ever there was a candidate for Co2 bulking, this is it. But then you all probably know by now how I feel about pumpers anyway!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

I pretty much agree with your appraisal.  It is an okay gun but will never be my favorite.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Here are the 5 pellets I dug out of the duct-seal. Went though a target and thin cardboard backer from 10 yards with 5 pumps. Not much distortion. An un-fired pellet is the 6th one all the way to the right. These were Gamo Masterpoints and the only reason I used them, was because I had a clip already filled for the Powermaster 66.
Forgot to mention that they were buried as deep as the length of the pellet.
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mr007s

Has anyone chronied one of these guns at 10 pumps. What little we shot the grandsons at 10 pumps the velocity wasnt much. Had a rough time getting enough elevation with the red dot to get it zeroed. Had to move in to 10 yards before we made any progress.

Smaug

I bet it shoots about like a stock 1377, maybe a bit harder, due to the longer barrel.

But it has the same internals, right?

It should make a great plinker at 3 pumps with the flat top piston and valve. It should be over 600 fps a 10 pumps.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

Crosshairs

Rich dont give up it's a great gun and a lot of fun you will get use to the pumping arm. She will shoot over 600fps i did chrony this gun. I have done some pest control with it tree rats no problem, sparrows and starlings easy at 15-20 yards. I guess i like it so much because it's something different not the same old thing.
                                               Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

millipede

i think the gun sucks and ive never even held one before! its just a 760 that they can charge another 60 bucks for by adding a lot of plastic thats gonna break. i think it looks dumb and is just a gimmicky product they released right before christmas to make money

yep. that's all i have to say about THAT   8)

Crosshairs

Quote from: millipede on January 09, 2012, 08:53:29 AM
i think the gun sucks and ive never even held one before! its just a 760 that they can charge another 60 bucks for by adding a lot of plastic thats gonna break. i think it looks dumb and is just a gimmicky product they released right before christmas to make money

yep. that's all i have to say about THAT   8)
It's no 760 not even close stop listening to other people it shoots much harder then a 760  has a rifled barrel and is much more accurate then any 760. You said you never even held one so how can you say it sucks.I think it's a nice change and a real good gun for the money.  :-*
                                                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

ginoe

i really dig my m417.

i took a civilian marksmanship class up in camp smith using a m16. they taught us the three shooting positions (prone, sitting, standing), iron sights @ 300yd targets. that was a ton of fun but it's tough to get to the range to shoot the real thing.

i got the next available alternative at the time; a $15.00 well m4 spring airsoft rifle. it wasn't really accurate @ 5m & i would lose more plastic bb's shooting a sticky target at 10m. being a toy, i think the only metal parts in it were the spring & the screws the held it together. needless to say, my $15 lasted about 3 days as a plastic bit broke on the inside, now the charging handle cannot cycle the next round. i wanted to replace it with a higher grade airsoft but was afraid to waste $$$ on another inaccurate toy.

enter in the m417. when PA had it available for sale, I HAD to get one! perfect for what i want to do with it; practice the 3 shooting positions @ 10m in the basement anytime i wanted to. when i finally do get to the range, i'm hoping it translates to hitting smaller groups & a few X's.

Squallywally

yep mine has been a tack driver since getting it out of the box. loves cheap pellets, accepts a multitude of sights, ie. multi aperture flip sights, AR handles, scopes,  red dots, lasers. One of the most enjoyable to shoot air guns I own.

NorthStaR

It's "marmite" - you either love it or hate it!  ;D ;D ;D

I think this gun comes under the label of "Each to their Own".   ???
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

mr007s

Quote from: Crosshairs on January 09, 2012, 02:23:29 PM
It's no 760 not even close stop listening to other people it shoots much harder then a 760  has a rifled barrel and is much more accurate then any 760. You said you never even held one so how can you say it sucks.I think it's a nice change and a real good gun for the money.  :-*
                                                     Mike

I dont know how much power a 760 produces, I have not owned one. But I do know the M-417 we sent back was lacking in power. We barely got it sighted in at 10 yards @10 pumps. Maybe it was a dud from the start. One thing for sure, the one coming will be shot thru the chrony post haste.

T191032

Interesting observations on the M417.  Had seen B.B.'s (Tom Gaylord's) reviews on PA's blog, and seen one in the box at Wal-Mart that had been opened.  A bit too expensive for my tastes.  Haven't really been shooting the long guns of late.  And the only "pumper" I tend to shoot have been the 13xx pistol platforms.  Sometime I think I keep the 3 760s around more for nostalgia (ok, 2 are for nostalgia) than anything.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Colt25

Can you shoot one of the altoids in the pic at 15 yards?

arkmaker †

Quote from: Colt25 on January 18, 2012, 10:18:41 PM
Can you shoot one of the altoids in the pic at 15 yards?

If there are any mints left in the box, I will give it a try someday.  :-*