• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Gun and target report

Started by chinaboy, January 25, 2012, 01:48:06 AM

chinaboy

I finally got to use my modded 1377 with my target I built.  Since I learned how to do it all on this board so I thought I would take a chance to thank everyone for all the help and input and let you know what I did.  Thanks everyone!

I'm still working on the 1377.  I have some more parts I want to add.  But I finished my target and wanted to try them out, both the gun and the target.  The 1377 has a Mellon FT valve and piston, 20 inch .22 mellon barrel, and polished trigger with cosmetic parts.  The scope is a 4x32 borrowed from my Dad until I buy my own.  I want to post in the gallery when I finish the whole thing.  I feel like it is half done yet still cool.

The target was a work in progress until this weekend.  I spent some time getting all what I needed at lowes when I originally went searching for spring guide for a trigger spring and hammer spring.  But, I'm glad I finished as it turned out sweet.  I built a nice big box for two targets so I could shoot with a friend and not have to take turns.  The back stop of the target is sheets of cardboard with bright orange duct tape.  I thought the bright tape would aid in seeing your shot. 

chinaboy

So when I first shot my gun I pumped it once to see how it acted as I'm indoors with a new gun and a new target I want to start light.  Anyway, my pellet wouldn't come out.  So, I tried two pumps and the same happened.  Then I tried either five or eight pumps and the pellet finally shot like it should.  After a few shots it started working well with five pumps and I didn't try it again with only one or two pumps for the night.  Is this normal?  Does the barrel need to be broken it?  Do the pellets suck?  I used GAMO 15.43gr match and 16.20gr masterpoints.  It felt difficult to fully close the bolt when loading as if the pellet had to be pushed in. 

The gun was almost immediately dead on at 15 feet.  I fined tuned the scope and I was a dead eye.  Fun!  I went through maybe 20 pellets and let my girlfriend shoot a little as I'm always telling her about the gun and target and she doesn't really care but acts like she does. 

The target worked well.  Five pumps bounced off the target with the match pellets and minimal pumps.  But every other shot was caught well with a moderate sound.  Sucess!  It worked well.  Once the cardboard backing gets teared up I'm going to cut out the used area and add some duct sealer putty I bought for it and then it should be  more silent. 

So, I'm pleased.  Before I bought and modded my 1377 and ever contemplated building a target I wondered if I could do right like this.  And I did it! 

Thanks again for all the help. 

p.s. I dont know why my pictures always tip on there side when I post.  If you know how to fix this let me know.

breakfastchef

Nice job on the gun and target! A 20" barrel is mighty long for a pistol. Throw a stock on that baby and it should rock.

Those heavy pellets likely needed a good five pumps to get moving.
Larry

BerkshireHunter

Nice! Did you cut those writing boards, or do the pellets go through them?

cmj21973

Quote from: chinaboy on January 25, 2012, 02:06:13 AM
So when I first shot my gun I pumped it once to see how it acted as I'm indoors with a new gun and a new target I want to start light.  Anyway, my pellet wouldn't come out.  So, I tried two pumps and the same happened.  Then I tried either five or eight pumps and the pellet finally shot like it should.  After a few shots it started working well with five pumps and I didn't try it again with only one or two pumps for the night.  Is this normal?  Does the barrel need to be broken it?  Do the pellets suck?  I used GAMO 15.43gr match and 16.20gr masterpoints.  It felt difficult to fully close the bolt when loading as if the pellet had to be pushed in. 

That don't sound normal to me at all. Did you look down the bore of the barrel, before installing, to see if it needed cleaning?

I installed a 24" barrel, from Crosman, and it had gunk in it. When I sighted it in, at 5m(16.5ft), the pellet would leave the barrel and bounce off my pellet trap.  It almost went through the side of the stuffed cardboard box I was using as a pellet trap. More than one pump definitely penetrated the box. I was using .22 cal Crosman Premier Hollow Point, 14.3 grain pellets.

chinaboy

Quote from: BerkshireHunter on January 25, 2012, 06:28:06 AM
Nice! Did you cut those writing boards, or do the pellets go through them?

The writing boards have the bottoms cut out.

arkmaker †

Cool target box. Can't wait to see the gun pics in the gallery. I would have to agree that 20" barrel would be to much for me, but then if you are young and strong and it suits you so be it. How far were you shooting from. Sounds like you are not getting enough air behind the pellet. Have you done the tissue paper test. Eight pumps should be screaming those pellets downrange and land with a really good thump! Watch out for ricochets. Some duct seal is advised.  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

Some pettets have a small skirt and wont fit the breech tight enough also check your bolt O-Ring. Try other pellets. I like RWS Hobby 7.0 there cheap and work just fine in all of my 1377s.
                                                                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!