• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Favorite power adjuster.

Started by chinaboy, January 31, 2012, 12:37:31 AM

chinaboy

I want to get a power adjuster to go with my disco hammer spring.  I can order a 2300 power adjuster from crosman or the ones from don conthran are my favorite looking and I know charlie mellon has them.  But does anyone have a reason to order one over the other besides looks alone?

breakfastchef

As Charlie emailed to me, they all do the same thing. Go with what looks best. One feature that is nice on the Mellon PA (and others) is the ability to change springs without having to take the PA off the gun. The Crosman setup requires you to remove the PA in order to change springs.

On a side note, I have a Crosman PA and have tested it in a CO2 pistol with three different springs. The thing is hit or miss. It does not really work that well for me. Velocities are inconsistant and often move up when they should be going down and vice versa. I leave it on the pistol because it looks nice, not because I found it very useful. YMMV!
Larry

TENDERFOOT

Charles mellon http://mellonair.com/index.php?p=1_8_Power-Ajusters.  For the price and function
Good guy I have felt with him without any issues.
Take Care,
Don

NorthStaR

Quote from: chinaboy on January 31, 2012, 12:37:31 AM
I want to get a power adjuster to go with my disco hammer spring. I can order a 2300 power adjuster from crosman
or the ones from don conthran are my favorite looking and I know charlie mellon has them.  But does anyone have a reason
to order one over the other besides looks alone?

Most members say that if you have a disco spring then the PA is overkill. It'll do more harm than good in terms of overload.
Either go for the disco spring or a PA. Both combined will see your valve stem/valve damaged in time. Possibly other parts too.

The PA will preload the stock spring to make it push harder. The Disco spring will do the same without the preload.
But if your just using it as a quick access hatch to the spring then go for it. Personally I see no point in the option
of changing springs unless it's purely at testing. I guess I don't see why you'd need to keep swapping them out.

Most say the PA is aesthetics versus any real use.

Careful of brass bolts on very heavy springs. They can snap trying to cock the hammer back. Been there!  ;)

EDIT: An alternative to overloading a heavy hammer spring is a slightly lighter valve spring.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

chinaboy

I guess I want to PA to tone down the gun for target shooting and tone the spring up for hunting.  Ten pumps discharges from the valve with no problem but for hunting I wouldn't mind pumping more for longer distances.  I read a post in the past of someone having success with his PA on his 1377 for that reason.

tinker

A 1377 using a Disco hammer spring is more than enough.  No need for a PA.  Turning it in and out you won't see much of a difference.  Looks good though :-*  Pump less for less power and pump more for harder hitting.  The only application I've seem the PA work is in PCP guns like the Disco.  The PA helps tune the gun up and down to help in finding the sweet spot in pressure and performance.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

TENDERFOOT

Remover I seen it says 1377
Take Care,
Don

mcc1961

I like the Cothran adjuster because it has an antikink stem built right into it,you can also change the spring by just taking the adjusting screw out and put the spring right in.I have one on my 2300T and my. 22 Disco and they work great.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

TENDERFOOT

Must be something new or newer he is doing,  he just called me yesterday he working on a big bore valve I'll have to ask him what improvements he has made.  I haven't ordered anything in a while but we call each other often, just to shoot the bull :-) .
Take Care,
Don