• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Niewbi question Re: Pellet Pistol

Started by Dancer, February 18, 2012, 07:42:26 PM

Dancer

This is my first post on the Crosman forum - thanks for a great website. 

I've had Crosman pistol (revolver) for about 15 years; its the 357 that is patterned (I think) after the Colt Python.  Its the one with the rotary magazine that shoots .177 pellets and it worked great for the first year or so but I didn't know anything about putting a drop of pellet gun oil on the CO2 powerlet and after awhile it wouldn't hold a CO2 charge.  I liked the pistol so much that I couldn't bring myself to throw it away.  So here I am a dozen or so years later and I'm back into air guns and I almost bought a new Crosman 357 a few days ago but then I started wondering if mine can be repaired and then I found this website.  If if is repairable, could anyone point me in the right direction?

sandpiper

Are you mechanically inclined and comfortable taking it apart or are you looking for a repair facility?

Dancer

Thanks for the reply.  The appearance of my pistol is close to that one.  The one in the picture looks like it's pretty much all metal construction, but from the magazine forward, my pistol is plastic (except for the rifled barrel).  My pistol has a vented rib on top of the main barrel / muzzle and there are 3 slots or vents.  Under the main barrel / muzzle there is a smaller fake barrel / muzzle that is equal in length to the main barrel.   BTW, it has a serial # stamped into the metal on the left side of the handle under the left side brown cover and there are numbers cast into the brown handle covers.  I can't find a model number.  FYI, I think I can work on it myself if I have some help.

cmj21973

Crosshairs

This gun is very easy to repair the parts can be bought from crosman it might just be the Co2 seal that only cost 2 or 3 bucks if thats not the problem you will need to replace or repair the valve that is also pretty cheap from crosman. Here is the parts list.
                                 Mike
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C357%20EVP%20&%20PL2.pdf
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Dancer

Thanks to cmj21973 and to Crosshairs for the picture and the links.  And you're right, my pistol looks exactly like the photo you provided.  I should have found an exploded view before I removed the three screws and split the halves because I'm pretty sure that part # 357-031 isn't in the right place and I'm not sure about part # 357-033.  The trigger draws the hammer back and rotates the magazine but the trigger no longer springs back into place.  Anyway, I'll study all of the information in the links and see if I can figure what part number(s) I'll need to make it hold a CO2 charge and then try to get the trigger working properly again.   Anyway, thanks again for your help, I'm excited about the prospect of having my favorite pellet pistol working again.

P.S.  I'm also excited to search the forum to see if there is anything I can do to improve some things about this pistol... like a lighter trigger pull... don't suppose there is any way to get some more pellet velocity?

cmj21973

The only way to increase pellet velocity, that I know, is to replace 6" barrel assembly with 8" barrel assembly.
It may or may not be available. The one shown on the Crosman site has the 8" barrel which is suppose to be a 6" barrel.
Call Crosman 1-800-724-7486, ask for parts department, and then inquire about part #357B204, 8" barrel assembly.

Dancer

I called the phone number you provided (thank you) and talked to the parts dept.  The first thing I wanted to know is which 'O' rings or gaskets should I replace but they told me that because of liability issues, they couldn't help me.   So... I promise I'm not going to hold anyone liable: Would anyone be willing to help me figure out which parts ('O' rings) to buy?  Or would it be better to take apart the valve assembly thing, then match up what I see to the exploded view?   BTW, thanks for the pictures of the various models 357.  I asked them about the 8" muzzle and they said no can do.  They advised me to call a local repair station to see if they have any of those parts... I think I'll wait to see if I can get it working.   

Crosshairs

If the Co2 is leaking from under the grip it's most likely the end seal part #38-128 if it's leaking out of the barrel it's the valve seal part # 357-041 try them first they only cost a few bucks if you need to replace the whole valve part # is 10602 i hope this helps. One more thing check the barrel latch and make sure it stays closed if not order a latch support they always ware out part #357-021
                                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

cmj21973