• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

84 Year Old Expert, right around the corner.

Started by sandpiper, March 31, 2012, 08:17:30 PM

sandpiper

While surfing the Crosman site I did a search for "Authorized Service Centers". To my surprise there was a center 10 miles from my house in Media, Pa. I stopped in to check it out and get a few parts for my 357 project. I found the owner (John / 84 years old) quite interesting. In fact, I spent two hours talking with him. He was a Crosman authorized repairman since the fourties and has a wealth of knowledge. He showed me just about every gun in the shop and he had a lot from new to old. Two hours later he found the screw, spring and seal I needed after searching through a huge box of envelopes. When I asked him what I owed him, he looked me square in the eye and said "that'll be fifty an hour".  After an awkward pause he smiled and said "just a couple bucks". 

I got my parts, didn't pay outrageous shipping and made a new friend. There are still good guys in the business.

quickster47 †

Sounds like you have come across a local gold mine.  Good find.   :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

joe k

arkmaker †

I hope you realize just how lucky you are!!!! Oh, to have a guy like that down the street!! Man! Some guys have all the luck!

I got stuck with good looks and ......
  :D  ;)  ;D
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

sandpiper

Yup, when I first walked in, it was very small but packed with air guns of all kinds. My first thought was Wow!

He was a bit hesitant to open up at first but later told me he often feels used by people who come in for information and leave without even saying thank you. I'm sure he sensed my gratitude for allowing me to ask him stuff.

He was into automotive electrical part sales along with air guns. It was a dual store and he eventually sold the auto parts biz to NAPA. Car parts and air guns in one store, every mans favorite place  :-*

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Crosshairs

I love talking to old people they have such cool stories and a air gunner to boot very cool. You must have felt like a kid in a candy store.
                                         Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

sandpiper

Quote from: KevinP on April 01, 2012, 03:06:27 AM
:-* Nice day you had ....

Great day and great visit BUT, he did show me some he had for sale that I might just have to have  ;)

144? rifle

He also had a few that people dropped off for repairs and they never came back. One was a 112. Such a good guy that he'll just keep them for years and years just in case they come back.

KevinP

Makes me want to come down for a visit ..... old school is good school ... not a lot
of that these days !!!!
Kevin
Albany, New York

sandpiper

Quote from: KevinP on April 01, 2012, 03:26:07 AM
Makes me want to come down for a visit ..... old school is good school ... not a lot
of that these days !!!!

And I forgot to mention boxes and boxes of parts. Not well organized but the boxes and envelopes were marked and there's alot of em.

1377x

i have one of those shops close to me too
if you look in your crosman paper work hes in there in my guns from the 70's paperwork he's in there and cheap prices for the parts too
keep him close you never know what kind of opportunities you will get by befriending him
closed mouths dont get fed

KevinP

Quote from: sandpiper on April 01, 2012, 03:29:38 AM
And I forgot to mention boxes and boxes of parts. Not well organized but the boxes and envelopes were marked and there's alot of em.

And I am sure he knows whats in each one .....
Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on April 01, 2012, 03:17:01 AM
Great day and great visit BUT, he did show me some he had for sale that I might just have to have  ;)

144? rifle

He also had a few that people dropped off for repairs and they never came back. One was a 112. Such a good guy that he'll just keep them for years and years just in case they come back.
are you sure your not in mn ?
it must happen at all the repair stations
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

Cool story, sandpiper. I have had conversations on the phone recently with Tim at Mac1 and Ron at Bryan and Associates. Guy that know their stuff are fascinating. I always learn something everytime I make a phone call with an airgunsmith.
Larry