Sling for a 1399 Stock Idea

Started by Nightsniper52, May 01, 2012, 07:00:13 AM

Nightsniper52

After playing with my 1322 W/1399 stock, I noticed a Slot molded on the inside of the Butt Plate.   Its 1 1/4" long and about 1/4" wide and about 3/16" deep. 

I remembered the way the Sling fits in a M1 Carbine stock,the sling is doubled and slid through the slot then the Oiler in the loop and pulled tight so the Oiler is recessed in the stock.

Now my idea is to take my Dremal (What would we do without it!) and finish the slot all the way through the Butt,then on the Butt plate recess 1/4" deep/and long on both ends of the slot.

Take a 1" nylon sling and loop it through the inside of the stock.  Get a 3/16" OD Brass rod that is 1 3/4" long, and push it thru the loop and pull tight.
The pin will be flush with the Butt so the sling wont be in the way when you shoulder it.

I have to determin the best way to join the ends(Buckle,Sewn or ??)
Basically this would be a good Single Point Sling for these little carbines.  :-*

Your Thoughts on this Please ???            Thanks Jeff   :)

JEBert

I don't see why that wouldn't work.  You could use a camping gear strap and use the adjustment buckle to alter the length when needed and never have to sew anything.  Just push a loop of it through your slot, add the pin, pull it tight, and trim the overall length of the strap to the max you would ever want it.
Before I opened up that slot though, I would see how thick the sling would be when doubled.  Make the width of the slot snug enough so that when you weren't using the sling, it wouldn't slip rearward and either get in the way of your shoulder or let the pin drop out.   Also, the sling wouldn't be able to slip around and buckle would always be where you left it.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)