• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Quakenbush Quarter Bore

Started by SaiCo, June 11, 2012, 11:44:45 PM

SaiCo

The PA blog did part 2 of their Quakenbush .25 2240 today. I had to adjust my thinking when my first reaction: "So?" It originated in a time when the after market for these pistols was getting started. These days, I'd go with an MA2540, but back then, I guess there were so few craftsmen making parts. And I imagine the .25 didn't have the popularity it does today. From an historical stand point, it's a fore runner.
I wouldn't take it afield for fear of it losing value. 
Opinions?
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

BDS

Quote from: SaiCo on June 11, 2012, 11:44:45 PM
The PA blog did part 2 of their Quakenbush .25 2240 today. I had to adjust my thinking when my first reaction: "So?" It originated in a time when the after market for these pistols was getting started. These days, I'd go with an MA2540, but back then, I guess there were so few craftsmen making parts. And I imagine the .25 didn't have the popularity it does today. From an historical stand point, it's a fore runner.
I wouldn't take it afield for fear of it losing value. 
Opinions?

Yup, about right, DQ was one of the few that actually built the pistols (mods that is) and shipped e'm. After awhile, he gave up on building them and sold the parts so... there are so-called "DQ" pistols out there that are home built, maybe the same quality of assembly and... maybe not? I thought he did a .38 caliber or 9mm too?
Brian

eric

his guns won't lose value --- he makes and sells them a very and i mean very reasonable prices. people will buy them new just to sell them for twice what they paid --- you need to be on a list and your need to know when it is open --- that is why those who buy just to sell again do it . forget how long the liost is but it isn't very long --- here is this years info http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/status__page.htm
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

SaiCo

Yes, a DQ such as this would be good to have. But other than the name "Dennis Quakenbush" attached to it, and it's place in history, there's better options available these days. But back in the '90s it was VERY special indeed. I don't think it was easy to get a metal breech for a 2240 back then, was it? I don't know airgun history that well.
These days, the quarter bore is more popular, just look at the plethora of pellets available. And a metal breech? Steel or aluminium? If you can't buy this historical pistol, you can make one using readily available parts. But it wouldn't have the Quakenbush name on it.

eric

it wouldn't be a quackenbush if you or someone else built somthing similar --- sure you could build a .25 hand cannon but like dennis ,probably not --- daystate ,fx,air arms are nice but each is different --- remember he makes everything (not the grip frame of course) --- sure it's based off a crosman but that is all

SaiCo

Quote from: eric on June 13, 2012, 02:48:20 AM
it wouldn't be a quackenbush if you or someone else built somthing similar --- sure you could build a .25 hand cannon but like dennis ,probably not --- daystate ,fx,air arms are nice but each is different --- remember he makes everything (not the grip frame of course) --- sure it's based off a crosman but that is all
From what I've read in parts 1 and 2, it's just a barrel and receiver. Everything else is stock.

eric

ok you're correct on that note but he made the barrels verses buying and/or having some one else make them .  so with your first statement that might depend on the person and what they want or don't want .that could be anything from history to country(s) of origin to price or anyhing else --- kinda like why a crosman to a  daystate .pick what you like and go with it