• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Chrony Trouble

Started by Nightsniper52, June 26, 2012, 06:00:11 AM

Nightsniper52

Well I set up my New F-1 Chrony,Puck Lights and every thing was set up right.  It said AL/and flashing on each side.   First shot from my 1322 three feet away and I get 446 then a 1 on the right side.   Pump it ten times,aim and fire  Nothing! OK so pump/reload and Nothing!  Tried three different places in the apartment and it takes the first shot and no more.  What am I doing wrong?  I know im shooting leval over the sensers at about 4".......Jeff   :(

breakfastchef

Those buggers can be finnicky at times. When it starts acting nutty, turn it off and back on. Make sure your lights are over the sensors. Regardless of what some may say, move the Chrony closer to the muzzle (i.e. 2' or less). Don't discount 'light pollution' from surrounding light sources. I often have better luck if I just test velocities and not try to target shoot at the same time. I can't do two things at once very well. Make sure the battery is good. When all else fails, send Shooting Chrony an email.
Larry

Nightsniper52

I just tried distance of 6"to 4' same thing. Its a brand new batterie.   Put unit in closet(trying to get away from TV signals) same thing.  Im shooting Crosman Domes should I be using a different pellet??

breakfastchef

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on June 26, 2012, 06:45:39 AM
I just tried distance of 6"to 4' same thing. Its a brand new batterie.   Put unit in closet(trying to get away from TV signals) same thing.  Im shooting Crosman Domes should I be using a different pellet??

The fact that you do not get the ERR message on the screen means the unit is not picking up anything on either sensor. Lighting and alignment are the only two factors that matter to the device. What happens if you slide your hand over sensor one and take it away? You should have an ERR 1. Same with the rear sensor, except you would receive and ERR 2. That is a simple test for proper function of each sensor.
Larry

1377x

you are fine at the 3' from chrony, manufacturers recommenations, because you can get false reading by air or co2 debris going over the sensors.
when using crosman cphp the same thing happens when the light isnt right. i paint them with a black marker then they read
it only happens with cphp which is basically a dome with the hole in the middle
set up a target backdrop behind the center of the sensors so you know where your pellet is hitting
the puck lights might be the other problem
i have read many posts that they are insufficient lighting
for my light set up i use 2 40watt frosted light bulbs one over each sensor with this set up all pellets read and correctly.all my shots are taken 3' from front sensor
my numbers are then double checked at the crosman repair station.i do this with every gun just to make sure im doing my testing correctly
this is my $5 light set up

also with this set up the only error i get is when i miss a sensor shown by the backstop
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on June 26, 2012, 06:45:39 AM

Your Chrony is an optical device, it has nothing in common with TV signals or RF energy. Basically, it has one sensor in the front and one more in the rear. With proper lighting from above, the 1st sensor "sees" the pellet as a shadow streaking over it, the 2nd sensor also sees the pellet, the Chrony computer chip calculates the time differential between sensor 1 and sensor 2 and display a speed or f.p.s.

Brian

eric

do you have any fluorescent bulbs on where you shoot,turn them off --- chronies don't like them --- they pulse --- you and i can't see it,but the a chrony will sense it .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

BDS

+ 1 to that, good call Eric, f-bulbs pulse at 60 cycles or 60 times per second, so to the sensors it's a light show!  :D
Brian

Cowray

Any fluorescent bulbs pulse at some frequency, depending on the ballast, 60 Hz or higher. Chronys don't like pulsing light. I was thinking about using some LEDs.

Nightsniper52

Nope all the Flouresent lights are out!   Have it fixed now!  Before learning of Blacking the pellet I changed to RWS domes they have a outer skirt that is rough.   Works like a dream now.   My 1322 is getting Low 437 High 448 with an (10shots) average of 445 FPS.  My stock Benji Titan NP .22 average is 752 FPS.   What is the Formula for Pounds of Energy IIRC the term???  :)

breakfastchef

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on June 27, 2012, 04:43:33 AM
Nope all the Flouresent lights are out!   Have it fixed now!  Before learning of Blacking the pellet I changed to RWS domes they have a outer skirt that is rough.   Works like a dream now.   My 1322 is getting Low 437 High 448 with an (10shots) average of 445 FPS.  My stock Benji Titan NP .22 average is 752 FPS.   What is the Formula for Pounds of Energy IIRC the term???  :)

I found that the Chrony does not always red BBs. I have marked them with a Sharpie and they pick up fine. Good to know that some domes can fool the device.

Here are a few useful calculators - http://www.airguns.net/calculators.php

If you fall in love with your Chrony, then consider purchasing Chrono Connect software and interface cable. With this setup you can plug your chrony into a PC and capture all those shots, create graphs and save the data for other uses. The website maintains a very comprehensive pellet database. Go to http://www.chronoconnect.com/
Larry

Nightsniper52

Thanks!  But right now im starting to get into my Mod on my 1322 now that I have a Baseline for what it does stock.  Went to the Calculator page and it said @ 14.5gr. and 445fps im getting 6.38 fpe....Did I do it right??

1377x

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on June 27, 2012, 06:59:43 AM
Thanks!  But right now im starting to get into my Mod on my 1322 now that I have a Baseline for what it does stock.  Went to the Calculator page and it said @ 14.5gr. and 445fps im getting 6.38 fpe....Did I do it right??
you are correct!
i am assuming you used 10 pumps
might want to try 3-5 pumps and 15
closed mouths dont get fed

Nightsniper52

Rualert

PM me, and I'll send you a per-formulated Excel spreadsheet which you can simply drop your string numbers into, and it will give you the average FPS, ES, SD, and energy in foot pounds. I believe I have at least a couple with dual input areas, that also graph the output by FPS so you can visualize how consistent the shot string is. I also use these with some of my powder burners. You are officially done for now, the Crosman bug has fully taken effect, and there is no turning back. You may at some point try to move away from them, but they just keep pulling you back in. And remember, Crosman air guns are like Lego's, you can build anything out of them!

Rualert

Great start by the way.