• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 /2250

Started by john d, July 07, 2012, 01:33:42 AM

john d

Ime trying to get more power out of my 2240/50 ive never tuned before so learning curve so far have got 10" - 14.5" 16" -18"and 24" barrels to try all in .22 i have also 2240 and 2250 tube also a 2260 tube so going to be a bit of trial to find out what is best as looking for a bunny hunter 40 ish YDs ,,.
What i am asking is what mods do i need to do to the valve to get good high power shot count dont come into it as got 4 x 20oz bottles to use..
so what combo do you think i should try?? What ime  after is small hunting gun for bunny bashing at 40 yds,
Also just a question what is the most/highest power in ft Lbs anybody has got out of one??

Rualert

Sounds like you are looking to build a bottle gun, or maybe a bulk fill. I would start by looking at the B&A BOSS & Max-Flow System valve set. This would give you their Boss valve, i would recommend cutting 1/2 - 1 coil from the valve's inner spring. Drill the transfer port, don't remember the exact size off the top of my head, but it's in the build write up Pack Rat did for converting to HPA, and it may also be in my 2250XT build. If you are going the bottle route, this is also a good time to pin the valve, there is a how to here somewhere, an on many Crosman mod sites. Then once the CO2 fun wears off, you can easily switch it up to HPA with 13 CUIN or slightly larger depending on the look you want, and use paintball HPA tanks to start with. They are generally already set to 850 PSI regulated, so you get a nice long consistent shot string. There are plenty of power tips here as well. Fill us in a little, and we can all pitch in some assistance.

Casey

cmj21973

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,1236.msg9785.html#msg9785

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1232319398/Fastest+shooting+co2--

John D, from your bio/profile I take it your in the UK correct?

Don't forget to take the UK air regs in consideration.
Air pistols generating more than 6 ft·lbf (8.1 J) and air rifles generating more than 12 ft·lbf (16.2 J) of energy are considered firearms.

john d

Yes Correct i am in UK  :-* I know wehave 12ftlbs limit for riffles and 6ftlbs for pistols what ime after is 22xx with plastic stock to carbine it with longer barrel, what ime looking to do is build up a 22xx to shoot /hunting at 40 yds<rabbit>to make sure i can get the power out of it before regestring  it with police on (fac) liecence cus if i regester it  and carnt get the power out of it then ime stuck with an (FAC) carbine which is no good to me? I can build and try in back garden as can shoot in to brick shed at bottom of garden this shed is 28ft wide - 14ft Deep x 10ft high so has good solid back stop , I do have shotguns and have had for 20 years so know what to do for safetey , ,, your replys please.,.

Plekto

1: Convert it into a carbine.   IIRC, this means you need to install the 16" barrel as well as the rear stock.   This allows you to use it as a rifle, which means that you're good to go with any reasonable mod.

note - the actual legalese:  "600mm min overall length and a 300mm barrel to differentiate between a rifle and a pistol."  So, over 24" total length, with a non-foldable shoulder stock, plus a a barrel of over 12"(before anything is added to keep noise down).  Since the gun itself is a bit too short with the 12" barrel, (short shoulder stock and frame), and it could benefit from the extra power, I'd go with the 16" to be safe.  The 14.5 would essentially turn it into a stock "Ratcatcher", which looks far too stubby/short for my liking.

2: For pests, though, you're better off with just adding a bit better bolt and spring.   The gun as-is is perfectly fine for them.  For testing, you should use N&N Baracuda (21.14 gr) and make sure the FPS doesn't go over 500 (11.74ft-lbs).   You can't really get too crazy with it as a result.

john d

Well not bothered about 12ftlbs limit  as can be put on (fac),, So what mods do you recomend Dont want to spend stupid money ,I like these quirky guns BUT if need be could just go and buy a rim fire instead, so need to keep mods as cheep as poss,,

1377x

Quote from: john d on July 09, 2012, 11:51:17 AM
Well not bothered about 12ftlbs limit  as can be put on (fac),, So what mods do you recomend Dont want to spend stupid money ,I like these quirky guns BUT if need be could just go and buy a rim fire instead, so need to keep mods as cheep as poss,,
i dont know what a rimfire costs over there,here in the US its cheaper to buy a rimfire than to mod a 2240/2250.the rimfire is cheaper to shoot also,but that could be in just in my area or an area similar
closed mouths dont get fed

Plekto

The problem with going over 12ft-lbs is that firearm laws apply, which means that the number of places that you can legally shoot it drops to virtually nowhere unless you own a farm.  Airguns have this sort of protected status (currently) in the UK, so milk it for all its worth.

A stock 2240 with a 16" barrel will be hovering around 10 ft-lbs without any major mods.  That's why I suggested to keep it simple and just do a few tweaks with the bolt and hammer/spring.  $20 or so and some DIY to get a good 75-100fps increase.

Test with the super heavy pellets as they will have the most ft-lbs, and then shoot lighter 14gr or so in it to get up towards 600fps.

john d

This is the stupid bit  , i can shoot on some ground with friends that has been passed for shot gun and air gun FAC BUT NOT rimfire?? i carn understand this so looking to get as much as poss out of this setup,
Some of the ground my mates shoot on Has been passed for rim fire and ime working on the land owner to try and get permition for myself to shoot on his land,

I am also going to see the local police fire arms officer to see how this land has been passed for shot gun and FAC air  BUT not rimfire later in week,,

1377x

rimfire rounds are highly underestimated.i think a shot gun slug or buckshot run out of steam by the time they reach a mile ,where as a rimefire round is still very dangerous at that range.cant say about airguns though i see videos about sub 12# guns killing rabbits at 40yds,a fac airgun i have no clue what the danger range is.
closed mouths dont get fed