• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Some 2300S vs 2240 shot count info

Started by jdub, July 25, 2012, 06:45:39 AM

jdub

After an interesting discussion about power adjusters with 1377x and pondering the difference in power levels and CO2 usage between my 2300S and 2240 I decided to waste some pellets in the name of science (well, not really science) and run a couple of tests.

My 2300S has the stock hammer spring and power adjuster.  The power adjuster is set at its most powerful setting (all the way in).  The valve is stock as is the bolt/probe.  I loaded up a fresh CO2 cartridge, laid out 60 .177 Crosman Competition 7.4 gr wadcutters and went to work.   I was shooting on my 5m range because I can't shoot 10m until everyone goes to bed  :)  To avoid boredom I would take about 10 shots at a Gamo Rocker Trap and then take 3 or 4 shots at 1/4" paper bullseyes to verify POI.
(This is the trap)

When I got to 60 pellets there was no noticeable change in POI on paper and I was still whacking the little 1/2" targets on the trap with ease.   After 66 pellets I started to notice a drop in velocity although the POI was still consistent.  By 71 shots the POI shifted noticeably however I was still hitting the 1/2" flip-ups on the trap with no trouble.  At 79 I could follow the pellet in flight and at 84 the pellet lodged in the barrel.  Not bad at all.  It's about 95 degrees in my garage so I'm sure that helped.  I would take about 15-20 seconds between shots.

Next up was the 2240.  In an effort to get more shots out of this pistol and reduce the velocity I put a 2300S hammer spring in it shortly after getting it.  Hammer, valve and bolt are bone stock.  Being an optimistic guy I laid out 60 pellets for this one, too.  .22 Daisy Precision Max 14.0 gr pointy-headed guys.  I chose these pellets because I don't especially like them but I didn't know that when I picked up about 10 tins on clearance for $1 a tin about 6 years ago.  I have 3 tins left so at my current rate of consumption I should be done with them in mid to late 2014.  ;)  I will admit that in my 392 and now this 2240 they are exceedingly good at poking holes through long lines of coke cans.  But I digress...

I shot in the same manner.  10 shots at the rocker trap and then 3 or 4 into the small paper bullseye.   This time I saw a noticeable drop in velocity around the 43rd or 44th pellet.   The POI on paper shifted quickly downward after just a few more pellets.  I did, however, manage to continue smacking the rockers clear up until the 53rd or 54th pellet.  At 56 I could see the pellet arcing toward the trap.  At 60 it landed about 4' in front of me.  The 61st pellet lodged in the barrel.

So what does it mean?  Maybe not much for those of you who shoot at much greater distances.  Almost all of my shooting is between 5 and 10 meters.  Obviously the fact that I can shoot well over 60 accurate pellets in the 2300S without seeing a significant POI change at 5m means little if you're shooting at 20 yards.  In fact if I was shooting at 10m instead of 5 I would have seen the shift sooner.  However in my case it means that I can do a whole lot of shooting on a single cartridge.   I was even surprised by the 2240.  Over 40 good shots certainly works out well for me. 

Hopefully there's some useful info buried in here for some of you guys.  I was pleasantly surprised by both guns.  I'd like to try this test again at 10 meters sometime.  I'd also like to put the stock hammer spring back in the 2240 in and see how much of a difference it makes after all I do have 3 tins of those nasty pellets left....  :)

BTW, I continue to be impressed with the accuracy of the 2300S.  The trigger is still a weak spot but it's not that bad--it's most noticeable when I shoot it after shooting my Izzy.  I've been shooting this one in the house a lot because it's so quiet and the more I shoot the more impressed I am.   

Crosshairs

Cool test and good info now let me ask you this did you try another Co2 in the 2240 just to see if it was a low charged Co2 cart i have come across empty fresh Co2 carts before and also had see some very low in Co2. Also are both barrel lenghts the same. BTW i have the same target trap and think it's one of the coolest that they make for 5 to 10 meters.  :-*
                                         Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

jdub

Quote from: Crosshairs on July 25, 2012, 04:32:28 PM
Cool test and good info now let me ask you this did you try another Co2 in the 2240 just to see if it was a low charged Co2 cart i have come across empty fresh Co2 carts before and also had see some very low in Co2. Also are both barrel lenghts the same. BTW i have the same target trap and think it's one of the coolest that they make for 5 to 10 meters.  :-*
                                         Mike  8)
Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure both cartridges were good but it would be interesting to try again.  I say that only because both guns "felt" like I got about the same number of shots I have been getting.  If anything, the 2240 seemed to squeeze out a few more shots than seemed normal but it could just be that by the time it ran out I had shot around 150 pellets spaced 20 seconds apart.  More and faster than my usual relaxed shooting pace.

That little Gamo trap really has been a good deal.  I bought it years ago when we moved from Austin to Dallas and were stuck in an apartment while we looked for a house.  We had a tiny one car garage filled with boxes but I had a skinny lane about 2' wide from end to end where I could shoot.  Since then I've shot thousands of pellets at this trap and it has held up very well.   Even smacking it with 10 pumps from a Benji 392 at 5 yards hasn't fazed it.   Not great for inside the house because pellets frequently bounce out of the trap onto the floor but I don't think I've ever had one come back at me.   When we finally moved out of the apartment the movers were packing up the garage and asked about the flat gray things all over the ground.  Me:  "uh, hmm... that's weird.  I'm not sure."   ???  :)

Oh, forgot to add, the 2240 has the stock 7.25" Crosman .22 barrel and the 2300S has the stock 10.1" Walther .177 barrel.

arkmaker †

Do you know if the 2300 has the valve reducer in it?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

jdub

Quote from: arkmaker on July 25, 2012, 06:28:55 PM
Do you know if the 2300 has the valve reducer in it?
I believe it does.  I haven't opened it up but the previous owner said it was stock and I think the 2300S has the reducer as a stock part.

1377x

too bad you dont have any chrony numbers
it weould be interesting to see how fast your guns are shooting
you get more shots than i do thats for sure
closed mouths dont get fed

arkmaker †

Here is a thread about my 2240 that I was experimenting with. It might be a good read for you to see how things changed can affect the performance. It starts with a stock barrel and ends with a 10". What you really need is a chrony if you want to see just where the fps drops off the charts. Once it does start to drop, your poi is pure guesswork. Knowing when to change carts will help you target shooting.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,7333.0.html
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

jdub

Quote from: arkmaker on July 25, 2012, 10:11:09 PM
Here is a thread about my 2240 that I was experimenting with. It might be a good read for you to see how things changed can affect the performance. It starts with a stock barrel and ends with a 10". What you really need is a chrony if you want to see just where the fps drops off the charts. Once it does start to drop, your poi is pure guesswork. Knowing when to change carts will help you target shooting.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,7333.0.html
Yeah, I agree on all counts.  I use a different pistol for more serious target shooting--the 2300S is more for fun.  It would be nice to have a crony.  It would certainly make my findings much more useful. 

These two pistols are my first forays into CO2.  I'm very pleased that I get as many usable shots as I do out of the 2300S.  It was a pleasant surprise.