• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How to refinish the metal on a gun?

Started by hstedman, August 22, 2012, 04:06:46 AM

hstedman

Hey everyone,
So I was letting some friends shoot my 1377 and, not paying attention to what they were doing, I allowed them to leave the gun outside. Unfortunately it rained that night and the gun became rusty on the barrel and pump tube. Having no Ballistol, I tried using vinegar on a paper towel to remove the rust. Call me stupid but I think it was working until too much vinegar was in one place for too long and the black finish of the gun was dissolved, leaving the silvery exterior of the metal beneath. I would hope none of you will have had this problem before, but I wonder if any of you have any suggestions for making my gun black again. Should I paint it or what?
Thanks everyone,
hstedman

1377x

painting it would be cheaper than having it reblued if you could get someone to do it.some people would rather laugh you out the door instead of taking your money
good luck trying to cold blue it .that stuff is a pita to work with
check the bore make sure it didnt rust
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

Actually, soaking blued parts in vinegar is a great way to strip off the finish. If it were my pistol, I would use 0000 steel wool and clean off all the rust and pitting. For the pump arm linkage, just put a light coat of oil on it and move to the barrel (and steel breech if you installed one). Use a 3M scouring pad (you know those thin green ones) and remove all the bluing. Soaking in vinegar helps to loosen up the blue. Get some Birchwood Casey Super Blue and reblue the barrel (and breech). Experiment! Whatever you do is always reversible.

When you are satisfied with the color, clean it up with something like RemOil or Ballistol. Reassemble and enjoy. I do not like painting a gun that was originally blued.
Larry

chongman

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 22, 2012, 04:22:23 AM
Actually, soaking blued parts in vinegar is a great way to strip off the finish. If it were my pistol, I would use 0000 steel wool and clean off all the rust and pitting. For the pump arm linkage, just put a light coat of oil on it and move to the barrel (and steel breech if you installed one). Use a 3M scouring pad (you know those thin green ones) and remove all the bluing. Soaking in vinegar helps to loosen up the blue. Get some Birchwood Casey Super Blue and reblue the barrel (and breech). Experiment! Whatever you do is always reversible.

When you are satisfied with the color, clean it up with something like RemOil or Ballistol. Reassemble and enjoy. I do not like painting a gun that was originally blued.

Good advice Larry, thanks for your reply.

There's always a tip or two contained within the fine print of a post.  You could try the red scratch pads vice the green though you might have to go out to the store (it can wait till morning) and get some. They are very good for polishing.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

cmj21973

X2 on the Birchwoood/Casey

Get a Birchwood/Casey  Presto Gun Blue Pen!

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,6966.msg72724.html#msg72724

P.S. Now I know what to use to strip the Crosman factory blueing. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way, but thanks.

markasaurus

Alumahyde II from Brownell's works great for me!  I finished my 1322 with it right out of the box.  Disassemble gun, sand barrel and pump tube to bare metal with emery clothe #150 (it took me 5 minutes, that factory finish is thin!).  Clean it well inside and out with brake cleaner.  Heat with heat gun, dust on the Alumahyde with light spritzing (Brownells has a good video on how to do it). 

Alumahyde is an air dry finish, so you'd then hang the parts for at least a week to let the paint harden.  I did not want to wait that long so i bake the parts in the oven for 4 hours at no more then 200 degrees F.  A pretty tough finish and much nicer then paint, and much easier then bluing.

hstedman

PC77

If you want to re blue it Brownnells oxpho- blue is the finest cold bluing i have ever used. Utube has videos on how to do it.  If you are going to remove the bluing and leave it white use Birchwood Casey blue and rust remover vinegar can leave the metal a gray color.  I have finished a few cap and ball revolvers in white i used paste wax to protect the metal it held up well.
pc77

Davio

Quote from: cmj21973 on August 22, 2012, 07:36:40 AM
X2 on the Birchwoood/Casey

Get a Birchwood/Casey  Presto Gun Blue Pen!

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,6966.msg72724.html#msg72724

P.S. Now I know what to use to strip the Crosman factory blueing. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way, but thanks.
I had wondered about the pens.  The reviews are good, but ALWAYS better to hear it from a forum brother.  :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

Crosshairs

My easy fix is to use a good paint like GunKote or DoraCoat they both are made for fire arms and hold up real good, i have a few guns i painted and they still have no scratches or chips.
                                 Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!