• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

My 2240 First Build

Started by styks, August 23, 2012, 07:40:28 PM

styks

Hi all,
I've put my first 2240 together with custom Gmac bits.
I had some issues some may be aware of from another post. Even with this new alloy breech (the steel one was too heavy for my liking )  I can't use the brass barrel band from Gmac.
Once I pull it down so it's lovely and snug on the main tube all the way along there is not enough room between barrel and tube for the brass and to fit.
I've had to use the original, I've just reshaped brass one to fit and used it to cover the original BB's screw indent.

Anyhow it's together nicely now.
I polished the alloy breech, the old barrel band, the trigger frame, the steel bolt on the extended probe, and the screw heads.
Added the Gmac trigger ( I added a small guide at the top of the trigger spring, the spring direct on the sear feels horrible) , power adjuster, brass mod adapter and a swift moderator.
Made some grips from some Lemon Wood I had. I had a drill bit grab and the one scale hole is a bit big at the entrance, I've crudely plugged it for now, will tidy that up later.
She's accurate enough and the trigger is loads better, still not good but better.
What I want to do now is improve that trigger. Can I get that "drop sear trigger" two stage mod in the uk?
If not who do I get it from? I need someone accepting PayPal though.
And I'll be adding iron sights.
I also noticed that the loading bolt was jumping up a tad on the shot and I felt it could be too easily knocked out of parked.
So just below on the main tube I fitted a strong Neo magnet. Holds it real firm!

chongman

Very nice  :-*

The neo magnet bolt hold is a unique approach!
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

BigErn

RC1947

Outstanding vision and finale.  Eyecatching work. RC

1377x

looking great!
you can try airgunexporter.they might be able to get the p-rod set up to you
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

She's a beauty great job. Thats the first one ? wow it looks like you been building them for years, that breech came out real nice.
                                          Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

bigstancwsw

Very well done, certainly makes it look unique.
Launceston Cornwall UK.
AA S410 .177,  AA S400 .22, AA S400 Classic .177,   Original Mod 45 .22 1980,  HW97K B&C tuned .22,  Webley Eclipse .22,  ASI Paratrooper .177,  BSA Meteor .177,  HW40 pistol .177,  Barretta 92FS CO2 pistol .177,  Crosman 2240 pistol .22,  Crosman 1077 rifle .177,  Crosman 1377 .177.

onebaddj

Nice job for a first run! Like the magnet idea to help keep that bolt handle down. Great idea for a feild gun.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

styks

Thanks for all your kind comments. ........... I'm itching to build another already, I fancy an all chrome .177 target pistol with Buffalo horn grips. I'm drooling just thinking about it so my plastics goin to get hit again pretty soon !!!!!  ;D

Regarding the magnet, I was wondering what effect if any there would be on the
steel hammer passing through the field. Don't know if I got this right but as it's in a tube the hammer may not be effected.
Like a Faraday cage, electricity flows over and around but if your inside your safe from it. Not sure now I think again, a magnetic field requires
no conductor, errrm  I need a boffin to answer that one!

I'll be converting to internal bulk fill as soon as I research it some more. Prob need a 2250 main tube to make it worthwhile?? I don't want a big tank stuck to it!
Also thinking about a 10" barrel and tuning for 5.5/6 fpe to gain extra shots per fill or capsule. .......... Or doesn't it work like that with CO2 ??
This is my first play with CO2 .... I'm up ok on HP air after many years experimenting with PCP rifles but this CO2 business is new to me.

styks

Quote from: 1377x on August 23, 2012, 10:11:51 PM
looking great!
you can try airgunexporter.they might be able to get the p-rod set up to you

Ok thank you, from what I've been reading you need the complete trigger frame / assembly, the hammer and striker ??
I'd certainly like that trigger set up so I'll contact them, cheers!

Govmod

That's one hell of a first build! Looks Great.

breakfastchef

Pistol looks very sharp. Still puzzled by the problems you had with the breech installation.
Larry

styks

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 26, 2012, 03:31:06 AM
Pistol looks very sharp. Still puzzled by the problems you had with the breech installation.

Thank you.
I'll try and explain the breech issue. ...... When I first fitted a steel breech I noticed (being a rather pedantic old engineer) that the breech did not touch the main tube all the way along it's length, it was cocked up at the muzzle end by a mil or so. I dismantled and noticed the breech seemed to be rocking on the transfer port ,so I thought ar I've not got the TP located correctly. ( I realise it compresses the seal a little when pulled down tight) Anyhow I checked and all was aligned, so I turned it upsidedown thinking I'd wrongly installed it, it was worse so a quick mail to Gmac and he confirmed the TP's orientation. Before the rebuild I thought ok lets put it all together without the TP. It all went together great, without the TP installed it fitted perfectly in contact with the tube all the way along. Then while in that state I tried to fit Gmacs brass barrel band and it would not fit, the barrel was now to close to the tube by a good 1.25 mm, very odd me thinks!
My conclusion after measuring the plastics breech against the new was that too much had been scalloped out therefore the steel breech was sitting lower.
I decided to order an alloy breech, because the pistol was a tad too heavy for me now, and see what that was like. It arrived, (the wrong hand as it happens, a packing error) and looked to have more metal between barrel and tube than the steel breech. When fitted without the TP again it was certainly better and sitting a tad higher, the barrel band went on but was tight and I feel it was still lifting the barrel just a tad.
Anyhow, the new correct hand alloy one arrived and that was like the steel breech, no way the BB would fit !!! Darn it I think (except the air was a tad bluer :-) so what I did, as the supplied BB's holes are open to each other possibly allowing the barrel to sit lower, was fit that instead, and it did fit. I fitted that close to the breech ensuring that the front of the breech was now held firm against the main tube as it should be. The brass barrel band will not fit, so either the BB was machined wrong (that I can't see because you'd have to remove the web between the two holes to get it right plus it would have a large gaps top and bottom) or the machning of the breech was out / inconsistant. Now that is more likely as I had one that sat higher. Gordon ( nice bloke by the way ) said they were identical to the Crosman steel breech so I don't really know what to say other than he must have made an error that day.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit but I hope you understand now what issues I had with the breech.

If you have the chance and the inclination try fitting the breech without the TP installed, pull it down snug with the screws and the original BB right up to the breech and try and push the Brass Gmac barrel band on. Or just have a good look at the front of your breech to see if it's raised from the main tube. I'd love to know what happens, if nothing else it'll prove that I'm nuts !!  ;D

I'd just like to say I'm not slagging Gmac off, he's a good bloke and very helpful by all accounts, plus he is certainly needed by Crosman guy's, including me now, I'll be going back for more bits no doubt!  ;)

1377x

Quote from: styks on August 26, 2012, 02:31:47 AM
Ok thank you, from what I've been reading you need the complete trigger frame / assembly, the hammer and striker ??
I'd certainly like that trigger set up so I'll contact them, cheers!
you can jbweld the skirt of the hammer or have a custom one made.i did the jbweld mod to my 22xx hammer just have to finish it up
heres a pic of a modded and custom 1377 hammer next to each other
closed mouths dont get fed

styks

Quote from: 1377x on August 26, 2012, 05:00:22 PM
you can jbweld the skirt of the hammer or have a custom one made.i did the jbweld mod to my 22xx hammer just have to finish it up
heres a pic of a modded and custom 1377 hammer next to each other

Oh right I see thanks. It must latch on the hammer face then and not in the skirt, is that correct?
What about hammer weight / speed? I guess it's not much of an issue if you choose the correct spring.
A lighter hammer I guess may be better, as long as the power is high enough for your needs and consistent, it would give a faster lock time?
Which of course is beneficial.
I'm going to be cheeky now, well if you don't ask you don't get! I was wondering, if I can't get one exported to me. No restrictions on importing trigger units here in the UK I think, but it may be a company policy. Would one of you guys over the pond be willing to obtain and ship to me if I PP the cost over first?? ... Certainly no risk then to the sender if some kind soul was willing.