• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Cartridge life question

Started by Tater, August 24, 2012, 06:23:03 PM

BDS

Quote from: Tater on August 25, 2012, 06:28:57 PM
Thanks Crosshairs and thanks to mentioned the custom 2240 in .177.
I can't go outside at all to shoot (I'm in a townhouse) but I do shoot from inside out the door at chipmunks. The guy next door has a window that's usually open about 8' from my door so that's why noise reduction is key.
I don't mind pumping the 1377, but my concern is it would have to be pre-pumped in case a chipper comes by. That could be hours sometimes and I don't know how long 8 pumps would last and still be powerful enough.

1377 with a TKO is a whisper, the hammer and spring are louder than the compressed air shot. If you use Pellgunoil and keep the gun cleaned and lubed, it should hold all the pumps you put into it and, leave two pumps in it with safety on when you put her away for the day :-*
Brian

cmj21973

The 1377 will hold a 10 pump charge for while. Just be sure to uncock the hammer, so the spring won't wear out.

Tater

Quote from: cmj21973 on August 26, 2012, 12:35:09 AM
The 1377 will hold a 10 pump charge for while. Just be sure to uncock the hammer, so the spring won't wear out.

By "uncock the hammer" is that the same as opening the bolt?

And thanks BDS. Hopeful I can find a TKO that allows me (and wife) to shoot with open sights.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

cmj21973

Scenario: 1377 pumped 10 times and loaded with pellet.

If you want to store it preasurized and loaded with a pellet, without the hammer cocked. With gun off "safe" and pointed in a safe direction; you open and hold the bolt back; squeeze the trigger; slowly release the tension of the hammer spring by moving the bolt foward, while holding onto it.

When you are ready to fire simple recock the gun.

Tater

Quote from: cmj21973 on August 26, 2012, 03:41:27 AM
Scenario: 1377 pumped 10 times and loaded with pellet.

If you want to store it preasurized and loaded with a pellet, without the hammer cocked. With gun off "safe" and pointed in a safe direction; you open and hold the bolt back; squeeze the trigger; slowly release the tension of the hammer spring by moving the bolt foward, while holding onto it.

When you are ready to fire simple recock the gun.

Thanks CMJ.
It looks like I'll be able to afford a 1377 in about a month.Anyone know of a TKO for it that has a site or is thin enough where the stock site would work?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BDS

Quote from: Tater on August 26, 2012, 07:40:16 AM
Thanks CMJ.
It looks like I'll be able to afford a 1377 in about a month.Anyone know of a TKO for it that has a site or is thin enough where the stock site would work?

TKO Mike will put a sight pin in the LDC if you ask him.
Brian

JEBert

Note that to use a TKO on a 1377, you will have to install a longer barrel so that enough barrel will be extended from the front to install the TKO.  You should probably add a steel breech too to stabilize the barrel.  A stock 1377's barrel is flush with the front of the barrel band and does not protrude enough to attach anything.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Tater

Thanks BDS and JEBert, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Now, to just get the $$........   :(
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BDS

Now, to just get the $$........   

Oh... that o'l problem  :D

$$ never stopped a true Crosmaniac!  ;D
Brian

arkmaker †

Or you might re-think the 2240. A stock 2240 with a TKO and you are still under 100 bucks. A 1377 with a 12" barrel, steel breech TKO and you are closer to the 125 range.

Of course, you are going to spend it anyways on upgrades in the long run, so get what you feel will work best for you  ;)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Tater

Quote from: arkmaker on August 27, 2012, 06:35:50 PM
Or you might re-think the 2240. A stock 2240 with a TKO and you are still under 100 bucks. A 1377 with a 12" barrel, steel breech TKO and you are closer to the 125 range.

Of course, you are going to spend it anyways on upgrades in the long run, so get what you feel will work best for you  ;)

good points Arkmaker. I didn't look at it that way. For a 2240 in .177, is there an extra cost to it?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

arkmaker †

Yep, to switch to a .177 (1740), you would need a new barrel and bolt and now you are right up at the same cost as a 1377 with the same changes.. So like I said it is what you want. To pump or not to pump, that is the real question...........and how many changes do you want to make.

Here is the least expensive 1740 (2300KT) from the Crosman custom shop. I added the red dot because you will need something as there is no rear site.

Custom 2300KT: CO2 Pistol
$97.46

$97.46

Base Unit: Base Assembly: $45.11Breech: Long Steel Breech: $25.77Barrel: 10.1" Crosman Barrel (.177 caliber): $6.62Front Sight / Muzzle Brake: Blade Sight: $1.16Grips / Stock: Standard Plastic Grip: $2.85Sights / Optics: Large View Red Dot Sight: $15.95Engraving: Tater 2012

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Tater

I love the engraving choice!
Wow, so many options and choices. To make things worse, I'm really hoping to get my wife into shooting. She has tried my Gamo Hornet and a 1377 I borrowed and does well with them. I ask her to join me every time I shoot but she only does about once every month or two.
I've had my mind made up on getting a 1377, but looking at your price comparison definitely has me thinking. I'm sure the wife would like the ease of CO2 as well.

Hmmm.....
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

arkmaker †

Like I said, it has to be what you are happy with, not me or anyone else. Me? I'm a Co2 guy from way back. To me pumping up a gun is like being in the stone age with a club  ;D ;D

I like to cock aim and fire!!!! No fussing around wearing my already wimpy arm out pumping!!! (but I do own a few pumpers, so go figure)  ???