• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Safety Ball Replacement

Started by PC77, September 02, 2012, 06:31:34 PM

PC77

I just finished a brass safety for my PC77 while installing the safety ball and spring i launched them i found the spring but i could not find the ball. I was looking around for something to replace it with until i place an order with Crosman.  I ended up going to my wife's sewing basket  and using a sewing pin with a small ball on it. I cut the pin down and left a 1/4 of pin on the ball that made it easy to install. The sewing pin worked good. When i do place an order with Crosman i am going to order plenty of spare balls and springs.
pc77

0351_Vet

Yup....It has happened to all of us. Order 6 at a time, they are cheap.  :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SaiCo

Another common replacement: ball chain. And if you lose the spring, an expired butane lighter has the spring, but I think it may need trimming.
Guys: my memory has failed (youth is wasted on the young) does the spring from a bic work as is, or need trimming?
Anywho, these two items will get you by until oem parts arrive
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

cmj21973

0351_Vet

Quote from: cmj21973 on September 02, 2012, 07:57:13 PM
The .093" (3/32) safety ball from Crosman cost $1.15 + $4.00 S&H = $5.15

For those how like to buy in bulk! ;D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-3-32-inch-Diameter-Chrome-Steel-G25-Deep-Groove-Radial-Ball-Bearings-/130572871258?forcev4exp=true

Crosman Shipping is why I usually add the BB's to another larger order to justify  :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PC77

Thanks for the heads up on ball chain and lighter spring ideas. I just ordered a 100 balls thanks for the link.
pc77

markasaurus

The safety uses a 3/32" ball bearing -   after launching mine into the black hole of my studio apt I just went to Orchard Supply Hardware and they had a package of four, for 80 cents.  Some people glue the bearing to the spring and that sounds like a good idea to me!

Also the fork bearings in older bicycles use cage bearings consisting of a bunch of these size bearings -   just pop one out.  As a plus they come in a convenient dispenser  ;-)

1377x

the bic lighter spring has to be sized
i just lost 3 springs the other day putting that pesky safety inthe ball usually stays in place but i have a few extra anyways.i dont use a safety but put them in guns i sell
we have more than enough bike shops here.we are number #1 for bike riding in the nation or at least we were last year.i guess ill check them out get a bunch of bearings bic lighters are laying all over the place.some disposable lighters have a spring that has more tension than the stock spring the $.25 lighters have a softer spring so a couple of more coils have to be added
im going to make some kits up and sell them
closed mouths dont get fed

PC77

There is a lot of good ideas in this thread. This got me thinking wouldn't it be great if we a area we could put stuff like this. After i joined this forum i found a lot of good mods but i had to look all over the place to find them. Stuff like screw sizes, springs, making fiber optic sights, spring guides, making trigger shoes and making solid brass pump arm pins and safeties. I am sure there are a lot more being a newbe i can't how much this forum has helped me out. Any how it is just an idea.
pc77

markasaurus

Quote from: 1377x on September 03, 2012, 06:50:04 AM
the bic lighter spring has to be sized
i just lost 3 springs the other day putting that pesky safety inthe ball usually stays in place but i have a few extra anyways.i dont use a safety but put them in guns i sell
we have more than enough bike shops here.we are number #1 for bike riding in the nation or at least we were last year.i guess ill check them out get a bunch of bearings...

1377, just a heads up, i was in a bike shop recently and all the newer bikes apparently use 5/32" fork bearings...i was a bike mechanic  until 1992 and 3/32" was the size fork bearings all the bicycles used then.  The bike shop I went to did not have ANY bearings in 3/32".  So you may want to give a bike shop a call first because they may not have any bearings in the old size. 

tomykay12

I have read the head of a pin that is used to hold dress shirts together in the package works; leave a little pin on it and it becomes a spring "guide". I put a dab of silicone grease on mine during assembly and that kinda glues it to the spring. tk

Tater

Quote from: PC77 on September 03, 2012, 09:00:28 AM
There is a lot of good ideas in this thread. This got me thinking wouldn't it be great if we a area we could put stuff like this. After i joined this forum i found a lot of good mods but i had to look all over the place to find them. Stuff like screw sizes, springs, making fiber optic sights, spring guides, making trigger shoes and making solid brass pump arm pins and safeties. I am sure there are a lot more being a newbe i can't how much this forum has helped me out. Any how it is just an idea.
pc77

I love that idea. I spend tons of time using the search function but I still end up putting up noob threads at times because I just can't find something.

WARNING: New noob thread coming tonight.   :)  Still searching for now.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

Quote from: Tater on October 27, 2012, 03:32:04 AM
I love that idea. I spend tons of time using the search function but I still end up putting up noob threads at times because I just can't find something.

WARNING: New noob thread coming tonight.   :)  Still searching for now.
when doing your searches do it frome the index page(home page) if you do it anywhere else you will get only the resuls from that section and your answer might be in a different section.when searching from the index page all results from all sections pop up
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Quote from: 1377x on October 27, 2012, 04:26:31 AM
when doing your searches do it frome the index page(home page) if you do it anywhere else you will get only the resuls from that section and your answer might be in a different section.when searching from the index page all results from all sections pop up

Thank. I usually do but I'll make sure I always do from no on.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

droid

Since I bought a bag of 220 BBs I have had loads of them spring out and I have found them on the floor every time !

So I still have a bag of 200 untouched  :-*

Best $5 I have spent.

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk