• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

22XX Ivory Micarta Grip Scales?

Started by mrto, September 03, 2012, 03:43:10 PM

mrto

As above,does anyone know if they exist?

Fronzdan

Probably exist.  But for sale?  Not from any regular vendor of Crosman parts or grips.  I suggest you just contact the grip guys directly and see if you can find someone to do the custom work.

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

mrto

Thanks guys,yes I know Ivory Micarta exists in blank form for knife scales and is used extensively in firearm pistol grips,but wondered if anyone makes them commercially for the 2240 etc.As was suggested above I probably need to have a custom maker make the grips up for me.Though I wouldn't be surprised if they start to appear commercially for Crosmans before too long anyway. :)

1377x

ithats some cool stuff
is it dense? i mean hard to shape ???
closed mouths dont get fed

mrto

I have never worked with it,but have had pistol grips made from it and would say yes it is fairly dense,but no more of a problem to work with than wood I would think.

cmj21973

RC1947

I've used it for knife handles.  It's not hard to work, and the texture of Micarta depends upon what it's layered with, paper being the smoothest, canvas the coarse, and linen in the middle.  It's essentially plastic, and since the dust is ultra-fine, a respirator, or mask, should be worn when working it.
Knife scales are typically 1 1/2" x 5" a pair (thickness varies), and aren't large enough for 2240/13xx grips  Larger slabs are available from most knifemaking outlets.  Jantz is a reliable place to buy from.
Another product of interest for grips is Dymond wood which is seen on some custom grips - layered wood of different colored stains. RC

1377x

Quote from: RC1947 on September 04, 2012, 05:58:05 PM
I've used it for knife handles.  It's not hard to work, and the texture of Micarta depends upon what it's layered with, paper being the smoothest, canvas the coarse, and linen in the middle.  It's essentially plastic, and since the dust is ultra-fine, a respirator, or mask, should be worn when working it.
Knife scales are typically 1 1/2" x 5" a pair (thickness varies), and aren't large enough for 2240/13xx grips  Larger slabs are available from most knifemaking outlets.  Jantz is a reliable place to buy from.
Another product of interest for grips is Dymond wood which is seen on some custom grips - layered wood of different colored stains. RC
can you find some pics of the dymond wood finished? it sounds interesting
closed mouths dont get fed

RC1947

RC1947

RC1947