• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

My P-Rod Mods

Started by styks, September 14, 2012, 10:51:49 PM

styks

Hey guy's I've done a few mods to my P-Rod.
The eye to scope alignment was no existent so I decided to fit a "roll over" type comb to correctly align my eye, quite a straight forward job. Today I decided I didn't like the grip so I routed the grip flat either side and inlet/cladded with the same Mahogany so there's a smooth transition from plastic to wood and added a slight palm swell which I like. Not quite as I'd visualised it but It's growing on me. It was a pig of a job, I'm not used to working plastic and learned a few lessons along the way!  :)
I might do the fore stock, don't know yet but I think it will look nice.

Then to the power plant.

I installed 4 9/16 OD o'rings as per the buffer mod I read about. Firstly, thanks to the member who went to this trouble experimenting, saving us the trouble.  :-* Sorry I forget the members handle.  :-[
I then installed the heavier spring I got from Gmac for my 2240. Firstly it was too long/strong giving me too high velocities for the UK limit and no adjustability, so I've shortened it today.

My shot string before shortening using  Barracuda Match 5.52, (yet to run another but I'm now within the UK limit. 12fpe)

2800 psi fill.   Hammer Stroke ... 1 turn CW   Hammer Spring ... ½ turn CW

543   559   567   568   577   578   573   573   577   574   578   580   578
580   578   587   583   592   581   580   578   574   573   573   573   569
565   565   560   561   562   552   550   547

I've no idea the relationship between hammer spring and stroke for this buffer mod / P-rod to give the most consistent figures over the greatest pressure range and would appreciate some advice from the more experienced ??
These rules should apply to the lower velocities I require, yes?

Can't for the life of me find Barracuda's in 5.53 this side of the pond so I hope they group.
Really loopy trajectory at 11.5fpe but I'll only be shooting up to 30yrds and I think I'll remember it ok, it was my fav pellet for a long time. .... Thinking though, I might try 5.52 FTT's I think guys were getting good results from those. I can get those in 5.53, go figure!

chongman

Hmmmm.... yep, I like it! The comb is something I have not seen done in wood anywhere yet. Very unique approach :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

BDS

Well done, and that forestock will look good inletted also  :-*
Brian

styks

Quote from: BDS on September 14, 2012, 11:37:56 PM
Well done, and that forestock will look good inletted also  :-*

Ah, good idea, I was thinking making one completely out of wood but actually I think inlaid mahogany wood be better, cheers!

styks

Quote from: chongman on September 14, 2012, 11:25:33 PM
Hmmmm.... yep, I like it! The comb is something I have not seen done in wood anywhere yet. Very unique approach :-*

I always like to try and be a different from the norm and I love wood!  ;)

Crosshairs

Nice job on the stock great idea with the wood grips and cheek rest on the stock.
                                   Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

HappyHunter

I like it!!

Great job on the whole gun!  :-*

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

breakfastchef

The solution to the grips on the stock is fabulous. I may give that a try on my carbine.
Larry

1377x

i like it!
just enough wood in the right places! 8)
a wood forearm could be the icing on the cake.
closed mouths dont get fed

Davio

Really nice custom work.  I'd have it in a heartbeat!  Can't wait to see the forearm and I also think that the mix of wood and plastic is awesome the way you have done it.   :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

markasaurus

You're making me jealous, i want one!  RBGrips makes a wood forearm for P-rods now

styks

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I've just inlaid the fore stock, I also changed the shape at the
rear of the comb, looks a bit better now.
The picture angle makes the inlay look as if it's running up but no it's true!  :)
I have some 3mm rubber sheet on the way, that will be added to the butt. A moderator adapter is also winging it's way
to me so my short Swift Mod.will be going on it. ..... It's complete then .... Then it's out to the woods.  ;)

Tried three pellet makes today at 30y, barracuda 5.52 no go, think scatter gun.
RWS super domes, better but nothing special.
Accupell, great, single hole groups. I see they're now Crosman Premier Ultra Mag, ordered some more.
They're hitting nearly 1 1/2" higher than the cuda's at 30y, trajectory will be less of a prob.

BigErn

I like the look of your gun! I agree the black plastic and light colored wood look great together. Adding the wood on the forestock really sets it off!  :-*

1377x

that's PERFECT!!!!!! 8)
imo
thats the better than any full on wood furniture in my book
great job
im drooling on the keyboard
closed mouths dont get fed

styks

Thanks guys, it's real encouraging to know my work is liked.  :)
It's great to tote around the woods, makes a change from hefting my Prosport!