• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

The Sting of the Random Ricochet

Started by Davio, September 22, 2012, 04:41:24 AM

Davio

I never have ricochets when shooting at the targets in front of the duct seal, but now that I've been shooting the spinner target a lot lately at 5 and 10 meters I get them fairly often.  I had one graze my forearm and draw blood.  Several whizz back past me.  This is 2x12 treated pine and with the pistols many do not stick into the wood (especially when slowed down by the spinners). 

I'm afraid one of these will come back and caca my chrony or fly up my nose.  Will MDF catch pellets?
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

breakfastchef

Wood or steel are not well suited as target backers. To reduce ricochets, you could angle those backers 30 degrees or so down so the rebound deflects to the ground. With different guns producing different velocities, it is probably a good idea to use something behind the target that can capture most any pellet. Stuff like hay bales; cardboard boxes filled with magazines, newsprint, t-shirts, capret remnants, etc. Do not use foam!
Larry

1377x

you dont want to use mdf.please dont ask me how i know ;) ;D
forget the nose
dont shoot your eye out
i had one very bad experience with a ricochet
i used to shoot rimfires in the basement.during one session on the last round there was ricochet.i heard it bounce oround until it came to rest in my eye :o no it was more like this ;),without the smile.talk about burn..i knew my eyeball was scratched by the pain and feeling i had in it.everytime i tried to open my i would have to immediately shut it before i could open it completely.i would say i dont shoot rimefires in the basement anymore but i would be lying to you.now i have a proper bullet tube with 9 inches of sand on the bottom
it sits at a 45* angle the guy who builds them says thats the safest angle.it can handle up to a 7mm maybe more.the thing weighs about 80# before the sand is added about 140# with the sand.
when i can say i never do any longer is shoot without safety glasses.lesson learned
i am so lucky to still have my eye and it still worked like an eagle until my recent medication woes
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

I put a piece of carpet behind my spinners and get no ricochets.
                                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

millipede

you should get a heavier target. i got one of those "zombie" targets at walmart made of steel and even at low velocities the pellets totally flatten and dissintegrate. no ricochet

before that i was using just a spoon but i had no idea where the pellet was going once it hit so i put a big wad of duct seal in the spoon so now they stick to it

sparkycrew

i have issues with keeping very quiet while shooting so i use folded towels behind the targets,the pellets are all absorbed quietly and they drop onto another towel so i can collect them and dispose of safely,away from our pet rabbit,most of the pellets could be used again as they appear undamaged,could you add a silicone skin onto the target surface to dampen the ricochet effect