• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2300S power adjuster... Not what I expected

Started by jdub, September 29, 2012, 07:57:15 AM

jdub

In my continuing quest to seek out fun things to do with my new chrony I decided to test the power adjuster on my 2300S to see how much difference it really makes.   Since I've had the gun I've always left the power adjuster screwed all the way in (max power setting) just because it looks better (pathetic reason, I know).   This evening I discovered that in my case anyway that's probably the best setting. 

I installed a new cartridge, shot 10 shots, and then started measuring velocity--first with the adjuster backed all the way out for 10 shots, and then adjusted all the way in for 10 more shots.   When I was done I fired another 15 shots before the cart started to run low just to make sure my 20 test shots were all full power.  Here's what I found (I rounded all the numbers *after* doing the calculations):

Lowest power setting

AVG        551 fps
Fasted     576
Slowest   535
Spread      41 fps
StdDev   14.1

Highest Power

AVG       577 fps
Fasted    582
Slowest  570
Spread     12 fps
StdDev    3.7

The average velocity dropped by 26 fps on low power but the shot to shot consistency was horrible!   A spread of 41 fps and a standard deviation of 14.1.   Not good. 

The high power setting was very consistent in comparison with a much much better standard deviation. 

I'd be interested to hear what you guys have seen with your power adjusters.  Mine is the stock adjuster that comes with the 2300S.  It also has the stock hammer-spring. 

The one on the left.

droid

I found similar results using the adjusters. I just keep mine on max and for me it is just a cosmetic addition now.

It also allows me to disable the gun by removing the spring easily (Mine are DC adjusters)

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Crosshairs

Yeah im not a big fan of PAs i do own some but always shoot with them all the way im. I do however unscrew them when i store them to keep pressure off of the hammer spring.
                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

I never met a PA that really was worth the cost. In my 22xx pistols, I have tried the spring that ships with the Crosman PA, Disco hammer spring and a 13xx hammer spring. All chrony results were amazingly undramatic. I use all of mine screwed in 3/4 or so as this is generally the best setting for my guns for velocity and spread. Too far in and coil bind starts dropping velocities.
Larry

jdub

I think some of them look pretty cool but suspected they wouldn't make a big difference.  What really surprised me was the lack of consistency at low power. 

I guess it makes sense though.  With the PA Fully retracted the spring guide has very little effect so the spring is probably just kind of kinking left and right when the gun is cocked--killing the shot-to-shot repeatability.   With the PA adjusted in all the way the spring guide is very effective. 

When I turned a couple of my own spring guides I took the 2300S apart to check the spring guide length and see if it could be made any longer.  Nope.  It's the perfect length for the gun.  When adjusted fully in it's just short of bottoming out in the hole in the back of the hammer and supports the spring without binding. 

1377x

i only tried a pa on one co2 gun it made very little difference
on my disco pistol(pcp gun) it made a lot of difference,im not one to be adjusting power though.if i use one its because im using a heavy hammer spring and want to fine tune the gun
what makes a bigger difference is extending the hammer stroke.if you can make one or have one made.an extended rear tube pa with a longer hammer spring should do the trick.the problem with that is a new hammer /hammer spring assemble will need to be made as a rear cocker
not a hard thing to make if you have the right tools.huh cmj1973 ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

Davio

Opinions being like bum holes, I got one, too.  It was good to see those numbers and I'm actually impressed that with a PA being just a bit of a spring tension manipulator that 25 fps is yielded on a stock gun.  The tighter STD makes that even better. 

On the flip side of motivations (going for less power and hence additional shots... say for shooting targets) I think a PA is a useful tool. 

The only surprise and mild disappointment I get from those numbers is the greater variation (higher std. dev) with the lower setting.

Just my $.02 USD
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

0351_Vet

Good info.  :-* I like them because they "Look Cool".  ;) :)
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ