Some 2240 mod questions - breech, barrel length, what scope/mount, etc.

Started by matty, October 03, 2012, 06:14:33 PM

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

pirouge

here's what I've done. after modding my 1377 I had a pretty good idea where I wanted to go with my stock 2240. the first thing was to add a long steel breech, then a re-crowned 12" barrel, a heavier hammer spring, longer bolt probe, and put a BSA 30RD red dot on top. All parts are crosman except the R/D to keep my cost down. I buffed out the internal parts with a dremel and tweaked the trigger spring with needle noses. I get quarter size groups at 10m with this set up, I'm satisfied. I get all my parts from ABairguns, they also did the barrel cut down for me, their good folks, and a authorized service center

JEBert

pirouge,
How is that handling as a pistol with the 12" barrel?  I didn't answer matty's question about barrel length as I don't have one in 12".  I do have a 10" barreled 2300 and am in the process of cutting a 12" barrel for another 2300 but am planning on putting a shoulder stock on it.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

matty

Thanks for all the continued input!  The scope arrived but I'm still waiting on the breech from Crosman so hopefully that will arrive next week.

I'm still not decided as to 10 or 12" barrel but I ordered a 5" muzzle brake from tko so I don't want it to be too unbalanced.

I did paint the grips in 2-tone to bide my time while waiting for everything to arrive. :-)

matty

Thanks again for all your help with putting together my first 2240.  All the parts are in and here it is so far...

I think I will eventually get some wood grips but these look ok for now.

TR

Quote from: Crosshairs on October 03, 2012, 06:29:03 PM
A ten inch barrel is just fine for what your looking for, i think the red dot you want has the duel mount im not sure but i think you can flip the mount to fit crosman breech. If not the BSA will and save you some loot.I have two of the BSA red dots and really like them.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BSA_30mm_Red_Dot_Sight_3_8_and_Weaver_Mount/2944
                                                          Mike  8)

I just picked up a red dot BSA sight at Cabelas today for $20.00.  Check your paper or online for the coupon.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

twhooper

Well, I see I'm too late, but anyway... I like 10" best, but 12" bbl gets you a little more velocity.  Metal breeches if you can get short ones it's lighter and looks better, but harder to mount scopes exact.  I've got BSA 2x, Tasco 2x, Burris 3xAO and Phantom II 2.5x on 22xx pistols.  The Burris is the best, heaviest, and most expensive. The BSA 2x is very nice and light.  The Phantom II 2.5x is the lightest, not as good in low light.  I like the Tasco 2x28 Japanese used scopes alot also.  I like lowest rings I can get, wrap over the top style like Airforce, but anything sleek.  Crosman's don't need alot of strength, no recoil.  Lighter is better...  Just what I like.

And anything from TKO, and the AoA HDD hammer debouncer.

Looks like a nice shooter.  I like the two tone grips.

pirouge

JEbert;   I like the 12" barrel just fine on my 2240, usually I shoot off Caldwell bags @ 10m so weight isn't a problem. The one problem that's common, is I can't carry in a holster with the R/Dot.  Uncle Mike makes a bandoleer rig that works but is bulky, so its a trade off. The 12" definitely increases the range & power, but my reason for the`12" was the ability to shoot heavier pellets in .22 cal. for dumpster rats when I wanted to go "urbane hunting" , it worked, and a 14" barrel would be within reason.