What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

AS13

Nothing fancy...Broke out my "poor mans" lathe (Electric drill and some hand files) and made a hammer spring guide for my 2400KT out of a 1/4" brass bolt.  Got rid of the drag when cocking. I figure the spring was bending during cocking causing uneven pressure on the hammer making it drag on the tube.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

WyoMan

Excellent job Airshooter  :-* and that will save wear & tear too  :)
speaking of hammer things, I polished my hammer today for the new project,
kind of a mind numbing experience but I needed something low tech today  ;D
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

AS13

Hey Wyo:
Nice! Anything AG related is fun and keeps you busy :-*
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

chongman

Hammer Time  :D

Nice work WyoMan, it's got the sparkle now  :-*

Show us a pic of that brass hammer spring guide when you get a chance AirShooter2012 ;)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Rex Havoc

Dug out my slotcar box and got the two Allen wrenchs. They aren't the "L" shaped tool like normal, they have an aluminum hex handle with the smaller one haveing the tool piece machined from tool steel, I think it's a drill blank with a hex machined to fit the smallest SAE size Allen screw. The tip would take a lot of effort to break. Gave it a good cleaning, installed the Mellon Air hollow bolt and put it all back together.

Gathered up all the digital cameras I own to see if I can get a decent photo. My newest camera arrived with no memory  :p  I'll be getting a Micro SDHC card payday...from an American seller. Tired of waiting for the Chinee stuff.

ped

Quote from: WyoMan on January 27, 2013, 11:28:38 PM
Excellent job Airshooter  :-* and that will save wear & tear too  :)
speaking of hammer things, I polished my hammer today for the new project,
kind of a mind numbing experience but I needed something low tech today  ;D

thats nice and shiney
made a muzzle weight/crown protector i've also added a sight pip to it but haven't had chance to take a pic of it fitted
can't wait for my 1911 trigger to come so i can sort it's harsh trigger pull out,just need to make a co2 cap now but this could be a challenge as we've no thread cutting facility on our lathe(it has but it doesn't work) so it's either buy one or a two piece one using the threaded part of a standard cap
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

chongman

ped  :o

That is one wicked muzzle/crown protecting device  :-*

I don't know what you guys think but it seems to me that the CAPOF members have stepped up there game lately. Technical information, tips and hints, and the creative parts that have been popping up all over the forum.

2013...The Year Of The Air Gun

JEBert

Quote2013...The Year Of The Air Gun
I hope so!  :)
But I'm praying the bank account survives it!   :D  :-[
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

ped

cheers chongman i did mess up a little bit i milled the slot after i'd turned it and the slots gone into the front taper fractionally i'm debating re chucking it and increasing the front taper to the same depth of the slot
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Flex

Thought I start with the easy stuff so I did a little trigger work this afternoon on my 1322c. Fortunately, I have some small hex wrenches so I was able to get the side plate off without destroying the screw heads. Found out immediately that the trigger group was pretty unsophisticated. It appears that no attempt was made by Crosman to "finish" ANY of the contact points in the grouping! As per some of the suggestions made in this forum, my plan was to smooth out the contact surfaces and lube the pivot points of the trigger group. I liked the suggestion of using a .22 cal brass case inserted in the upper end of the sear spring. I don't know if others do this but I used a wire wheel to smooth the mfgr stamp and FP strike point out of the base of the case. I had a bag of spent cases and sorted thru them to find one with a light FP strike and a minimal mfgr mark. The wire wheel was able to smooth it out nicely.

The contact surface on the sear between it and the trigger was very rough. I smoothed both surfaces with some 600 wet or dry paper. At the other end of the sear, I smoother the surface that would now contact with the polished .22 cal case. I did nothing with the sear / hammer engagement surface. I tried to squeeze a couple of the spring loops together to lighten it a bit but wasn't having much success.  While it sounds like this might have been a pretty "smooth" operation, try as I might NOT TOO, I did briefly misplace the tiny steel bearing that keeps the safety in the "on" or "off" position :-[. Knowing it couldn't have gone far, I was confident that I would find it but it took nearly 20 minutes to do so :-X. Once that situation was under control, I cleaned and lubed the sear and trigger pivot points as well as the contact surfaces with teflon lube then re-assembled everything.

After both dry and live fire,I believe there to be some genuine improvement in trigger feel (very smooth) but not so much lightening of the pull. I will be seeking out a different spring in the near future. If I subtract the time searching for the tiny steel bearing, the whole operation took probably <45 min. It was fun. Before I run out and buy any custom replacement components, I think my initial goal will be to make this air gun "Be All It Can Be" with the original components. That's it for now. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

BigErn

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

chongman

That's the way to go Flex. I learned so much by working the stock parts to the maximum performance you can get from them.

Fronzdan

I installed my custom Alecto barrel made by Gippeto (Al) this weekend.  It started out life as a Crosman .22 barrel but was machined to fit in my .177 Alecto.  It really is a fine bit of machining, fully polished, with a nice recessed crown.

The barrel before install...

The crown...

I'll just say it was not that easy removing the OEM barrel, which fits completely inside the frame of the gun.  But I managed to get it out eventually.  Installing the new barrel was a breeze because of the extended length.

New barrel installed...the breech end.  Pellets are inserted directly into barrel by hand...

It extends about an inch from the frame.  Muzzle end was left the standard 7/16" OD.  Any Crosman brake can be used...

Accuracy is about the same as it was in .177 (which was excellent at 10m), with good sub-dime groups using Beeman FTS so far.  The holes are just bigger!  I'll drag out the chrony to see what it's doing now.

I can highly recommend Al's barrel work!  Its a shame you hardly see it in the Alecto.  Now what to do with that 12" LW I have??  Turn it into another Alecto barrel or modify it to fit a 1377?

targettgii

Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T