• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

how far can a 1322 can hold air?

Started by badan, November 05, 2012, 12:10:41 PM

badan

good day felllas! im newbie to this pls be patient on my question. how long this lil pumpers can hold air? e.g. in the field for hunting. please excuse my common question. thanks!

jSan22

ive read about an hour. but ive accidentally let it hold air for a few hours more. it lost a bunch of power, and eventually got so weak that it bounced off a squirrels hide instead of the usual instant kill.

JEBert

JSan22,
Where did you read that?
I think you have a leak in your valve.  I would take ti out, take it apart and clean all of the internals,examine the o-rings and valve seat, and put it back together and expect better results.  Mine has held pressure for days.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

as long as you pump slow the gun will hold air for weeks and maintain its same velocity if no leaks are present
i pump my gun up and will leave it for days and it still shoots the same velocity as if it was pumped up a minute ago,just pump slow when planning on not taking a shot within a few of minutes.if you pump fast that creates heat when it cools the velocity drops
if you are out in the field you should be good.you can decock the gun by holding the bolt pull the trigger and slowly slide the bolt back into locked position.basically the same way a revolver is decocked
if you are not planning on shooting it for more than a few days its best if you store the gun with 2 pumps and not cocked.from what others have said it might not be necessary for you store your gun with pumps.i have an excessively light valve spring in my valve if i dont store mine with a couple of pumps it takes some time get the spring to seat the poppet i yhink its called
closed mouths dont get fed

jSan22

Quote from: JEBert on November 05, 2012, 05:12:25 PM
JSan22,
Where did you read that?
I think you have a leak in your valve.  I would take ti out, take it apart and clean all of the internals,examine the o-rings and valve seat, and put it back together and expect better results.  Mine has held pressure for days.
Cheers,
Jerry
I think it was the crosman manual I read it at.
this was before, I got a new 1377 and it works perfect. the old one had a pump handle that would come undone for no reason. it wouldn't stay closed.

markasaurus

Should be able to hold air for several days or weeks.  If it can't something's wrong with the valve.  Plenty of people say they left their gun empty with no pumps in it for a long time, then came back to use it weeks or months later and it would not hold air.  Well that makes perfect sense, when the gun is stored with air in, the keeps the valve seals doing their job sealing, since their shape cannot change under pressure.  If you store the gun empty, the valve sealing material wants to assume it's old shape, since no pressure is on it.  And sometimes the new shape it "morphs" to no longer wants to seal, at least right away. 

Fronzdan

Quote from: 1377x on November 05, 2012, 05:34:39 PM
if you pump fast that creates heat when it cools the velocity drops

One of those " ya learn something every day" moments.  Makes total sense, but I never thought of that!

badan

Quote from: 1377x on November 05, 2012, 05:34:39 PM
as long as you pump slow the gun will hold air for weeks and maintain its same velocity if no leaks are present
i pump my gun up and will leave it for days and it still shoots the same velocity as if it was pumped up a minute ago,just pump slow when planning on not taking a shot within a few of minutes.if you pump fast that creates heat when it cools the velocity drops
if you are out in the field you should be good.you can decock the gun by holding the bolt pull the trigger and slowly slide the bolt back into locked position.basically the same way a revolver is decocked
if you are not planning on shooting it for more than a few days its best if you store the gun with 2 pumps and not cocked.from what others have said it might not be necessary for you store your gun with pumps.i have an excessively light valve spring in my valve if i dont store mine with a couple of pumps it takes some time get the spring to seat the poppet i yhink its called

thanks so much for the info. it brightens my day :-*