P-rod rough frame

Started by josey88, November 17, 2012, 08:21:34 PM

josey88

I started examining in detail the P-rod frame/asembly that will go into my 2400KT when it arrives in a week or so and everything is fine , except for the very rough part of the frame at front of the grips ... this is I think a residue from the cast . 
I am begining to think that I will have to disassemble the whole thing to sand and polish that part of the frame and then paint it again ... what a PITA this is 
I read somewhere that the custom shop sands and finishes the frames of the ordered guns much better , so if the frames are both the same , I will put the p-rod trigger assembly on the 2400KT frame if the frame comes better finished . Looking at my 1377`s , I think they are exactly the same , except that the p-rod assembly uses a third pin , which is not used but ready to install on the 1377 /2400kt frames.  Once again , what a PITA just to do things right

josey88

Well, I guess not ... the frames are the same but the 2400KT lacks the travel screw for the trigger and also another hole behind to make adjustments to the Sear , so ...  no swapping of frames and the only route left is disassembling and sanding and painting the P-rod frame ... my luck is shinning brightly 
I always use Duplicolor low gloss black , 500 degrees engine paint for my AK builts , so I will use the same for the frame . Maybe Crosman uses the same paint for their frames  because it looks exactly like it
Of course, I can always leave it the way it came , but ... nahh... I`ll fix it 

chongman

The Custom Shop frames appear (to me) just pick of the litter frames. Both of the Custom Shop 22xx frames I have came with minimal casting flash and are not sanded smooth. They do have the trigger travel adjusting screw, as do the 2300T/S.

If you have a 2400KT straight out of the box it should have the travel screw, if not? You got skint  ???

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

josey88

Quote from: chongman on November 17, 2012, 08:51:43 PM
The Custom Shop frames appear (to me) just pick of the litter frames. Both of the Custom Shop 22xx frames I have came with minimal casting flash and are not sanded smooth. They do have the trigger travel adjusting screw, as do the 2300T/S.

If you have a 2400KT straight out of the box it should have the travel screw, if not? You got skint  ???
You are right... mi bad . I was just comparing it to the 1377 frame that doesn`t have that travel screw . but most likely the 2400kt would not have the hole behind that travel screw (for adjusting the Sear`s hex key screws) so I guess that  since I have gone to the trouble of upgrading the 2400kt , may as well give it the finish it deserves .
The hex key screws on the P-rd trigger are all loctited , so unless I  tamper with the adjusting directly , they would not loose the setting from factory , so there would not be a problem handling it, carefully.

1377x

the older ccs guns had nicely refinished frames with cast marks removed, when that changed not sure
i just had my p-rod frame repainted but forgot to remove the casting mark.as long as the paint holds it will remain that way
closed mouths dont get fed

josey88

Well, mine has very rough marks from the casting and some parts are not even painted ... around the trigger that will be seen is pretty bad . So, what I am going to do is :
diasssembly of the trigger completely (no problem)
strip the paint completely , leaving it on the naked pot metal , like I did with the 1377 .
but instead of polishing it , I will sand off all the imperfections with 400 sand paper and then after cleaning , spray it with Duplicolor black engine paint 500 degrees resistent (an old trick from AK building) low gloss . The paint need the light scratches from the 400 sanding to adhere well . After it dries , I will spray a coat of transparent Helmsman spar urethane , clear satin . That will seal the paint and protect it . It would be beautiful and nice to the touch .

1377x

Quote from: josey88 on November 19, 2012, 02:59:48 AM
Well, mine has very rough marks from the casting and some parts are not even painted ... around the trigger that will be seen is pretty bad . So, what I am going to do is :
strip the paint completely , leaving it on the naked pot metal , like I did with the 1377 .
but instead of polishing it , I will sand off all the imperfections with 400 sand paper and then after cleaning , spray it with Duplicolor black engine paint 500 degrees resistent (an old trick from AK building) low gloss . The paint need the light scratches from the 400 sanding to adhere well . After it dries , I will spray a coat of transparent Helmsman spar urethane , clear satin . That will seal the paint and protect it . It would be beautiful and nice to the touch .
have you ever warmed up the metal before painting?
im just wondering if that would make the paint stick better because the pores in the metal will open some

josey88

You make sure that the metal is not cold ... normal temp , then when it is dry you put on the oven with only 225 degress and just for 25 minutes, hanging . After that, the whole thingis ready . Sometimes , if there is a particular part that it is difficult, I hang it on top of the  stove while on until is warm a little bit. I did that with some mags for my VZ-58 and they took the paint perfectly .

1377x

cool!
i have to find somewhere to use a oven,it will not happen in the kitchen oven at home
maybe i'll go get a toster oven from a second hand store for drying small parts

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 19, 2012, 05:42:21 AM
cool!
i have to find somewhere to use a oven,it will not happen in the kitchen oven at home
maybe i'll go get a toster oven from a second hand store for drying small parts
Why not ? I use the oven at home . Because the paint is already dry for at least few hours and you would hang the part on a wire inside the oven so it doesn`t touch anything , there is very little odor , if any at all .
I already stripped the frame and sanded, cleaned and painted it with the engine paint . Now is hanging in the garage , drying and tomorrow will be dry completely so here  comes the Oven step . After the Oven , I will spray the urethane , wait 24 hours to dry (no oven this time) and that is it .

1377x

oh its a call beyond my control the oven is off limits like shooting in the house is now  :(
the oven is brand new i should have saved the old oven for this reason
the toster ovens i was looking at not long ago are a decent size.i just need to get one of those digital thermometers
i had one like this but it got stolen along with my kill-a-watt.then i check and make sure the used oven is doing what it is supposed to
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

crossliner

Quote from: josey88 on November 19, 2012, 02:59:48 AM

Hi Mr. Josey..Am I right to assume that hi temp paint is enamel and would it not curl up if you spray coat it w/ clear urethane? I had my frames airbrushed by a pro but as nice as they look they are not impact resistant. A small bump would break the paint causing it to chip off.  Best regards.

josey88

Well, this urethane is for wood . It is the most resistent thing I have ever seen ... all weather , outside and inside, really tough stuff,  and it is , since is made for exterior/interior  protection of wood , and wood contracts and expands , kind of flexible . I have done a couple of buttstocks  and they look just like the first day , although I am careful handling my guns and I care about their appearance . I do not trow my guns around . I also did  some mags . This thing is very , very tough . It is mostly an exterior all weather protective lacquer . I cannot attest if it would survive a drop from 6 feets up in the air (I think that the gun would not survive that , as well) but for the normal handling , with a normal care  , it works .
It will seal and protect the paint from the wear and tear from the use . It comes in 3 flavors : clear satin , semi-gloss and high gloss . I use clear satin and when dry , you cannot tell it has been coated with .
It would not curl up . I have sprayed the urethane 1 hour after painting a part and it is fine , but usually I wait until  the paint is completely dry ... 8 to 10 hours .

chongman

So where's the pictures  ??? As they say, no pics it didn't happen  :D
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

josey88

I have not finished it . I am putting it on the Oven for the paint final drying . This afternoon I will spray the urethane coat and tomorrow it will be done . I will put pics of it finished .
I forgot to ad that I have also used the urethane (the same clear satin, I don`t like shiny bling guns) on my PSL receiver cover and on the metal buttstock , and of course , in a few rifles wood stocks .