• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Replacing The Safety Spring & Ball

Started by AS13, January 10, 2013, 03:00:48 PM

AS13

Well my luck ran out :( When I work on my trigger group I usually just remove the stock and sideplate. Until yesterday the safety spring and detente ball stayed in place. Didn't go flying, just fell out of the track. How to get it back in without removing the grip frame?
I went to the toolbox and got a dental pick and 3/32 drill bit. I have a magnetic parts tray so I placed the drill bit in the tray to magnetize it. I replaced the spring in the track and using the dental pick compressed the spring enough to get the ball in. I picked up the detent ball using the flat end of the drill bit and replaced the ball under the spring. Took a couple of tries but I got them back in.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

AgentWD40_FL

Flying Dragon XS60C .22 Co2 Air Rifle w/Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40 AO Scope
Hatsan Mod 25 Supercharger .177
Crosman 38T .177 (Circa 1976)
Crosman 38C .22 (Circa 1963-1974)
Crosman Mark 1 Target .22 (Circa 1970's)
Crosman 1740 (2240 Modded) Carbine w/Bushnell 3-9X32
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177 w/Tasco 2x20
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight
Crosman 357

breakfastchef

The most efficient way to replace the ball and spring is by removing the grip and reinstalling. I have also fussed with picks and jewler's screwdrivers successfully, too.
Larry

WyoMan

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 10, 2013, 03:23:19 PM
The most efficient way to replace the ball and spring is by removing the grip and reinstalling. I have also fussed with picks and jewler's screwdrivers successfully, too.
fussed is a good word for that.....almost need 3 hands. Grip frame removal the best  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Fronzdan

I've gone the dangerous route a bunch of times, and managed to keep those buggers where they belong.  Had em pop out a couple times and managed to find them (listening for them to drop is what saved me).  My luck eventually ran out and I lost a ball bearing a few weeks ago.

The way they come in the prod frames helps.  They glob em with grease and that seems to keep them in place when the frame is off.

Daysailer

Ive gotten them back in a number of times with mini screwdriver and dental pick.

Never again.... take grip off, and drop the buggers in the hole and remount the grip frame.
Adjust the wind, we cannot.....Adjust our sails (or windage), we should.

KevinP

;D I had just received 100 of the balls  in the mail ...  sittin in the bag .... took trigger out
to put in the GMAC one ..... spring and ball hit the ceiling....
had the ball  :D broke open a lighter for the spring ..

I now superglue them together so I can lose them both at the same time ... :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Mark5043

Oh yeah..the dreaded safety detent ball..somewhat tricky to put back in without the lower removed..
A small dab of grease in the slot will help keep that ball,and spring in place when you have the side cover off.
I always keep the safety off.."In the fire position" when removing the side plate,or the whole lower.It seems there is less tension on the spring.I pull the upper of very slowly..haven't dropped a detent ball in a while,knock on wood.Ditto on the magnetic parts tray..saved the day more than once.. :-*

1377x

crosman reads the forums
now all ehe 1701p trigger groups i bought lately have the spring and ball gooped with grease and the dont move for anything
i pull all my safeties anyways because im a leftie and it gets in my way .should have some left hand safeties one day :P
closed mouths dont get fed

droid

Secret is to buy a bag full of BBs. Since I bought a bag of 200 on eBay I haven't lost a one.

And for me removing the grip frame every time is the way.
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Mark5043

Quote from: 1377x on January 11, 2013, 08:52:26 AM

i pull all my safeties anyways because im a leftie and it gets in my way .should have some left hand safeties one day :P
I see your point there Ed....Hmmm....okay who's going to fire up the lathe.. ;)
I think someone should make a bunch for the lefties.. :-*

@ droid.. ;D yeah,funny how that works..if you have extra's on hand..you never have a problem.So true...

Flex

Came darn close to losing that pesky tiny ball doing a trigger tune-up (my first) on my 1322c the other night. Fortunately, it just rolled out, hit the towel I was working on and rolled a bit more just a bit out of sight. Took about 20 minutes but I found it. I like the glob of grease idea as well as a dab of superglue! Has anyone considered using lead shot maybe #8 or #7.5? Just how hard does the ball have to be? I have plenty of those available. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

WyoMan

Has to be harder than lead.....3/32" ball bearing can be had at hardware stores or what I did.....
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-bearing-balls/=l959wy  :)
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Pikie

I too am a lefty. I have had my 1377 for a short time and am afraid to take the grip frame off! I put a steel breech, Williams sight, and Bluefork front band sight on, but am waiting to find someone who sells or can make me a lefty. Before I lose the spring and detent ball! Does anyone know where I a
can get a left handed safety?
Vince

mudduck48

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 10, 2013, 03:23:19 PM
Yea, what he said. Remove the grip frame. But first, you do what an old sage on the forum told me. Go to the hardware store or Home depot, Lowe's  and buy two  8-32x 1/2" allen head cap screws. Take your screws out of the gripframe and cut off the new screws the the same length. There is one long and one short. Now you do not have to fight with that stupid square drive. Makes it alot eaiser to remove the grip frame. I put a flat washer under mine, made the washer black with a Sharpie. Don't forget to put a piece of electrical tape on the front of your trigger guard so's not to scratch it with your screwdriver.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.