• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Crosman 1701P ??

Started by blake.l, January 12, 2013, 11:35:59 PM

blake.l

Rich,
How do you like the 1701P? i've been looking at really hard lately. How does it shoot and any mods that has to be done or is it set out of the box??

arkmaker †

I split this topic out of that thread as we were jacking it pretty bad........

The 1701P is great right out of the box. The only problem with accuracy has been me. I shake a little, so really tight groups don't come very often. When they do, it is usually when I have it benched. Even then I am the cause for missing bulls. It is pretty quite all by itself, but I sport a TKO stage 5. Also, it is a bit on the heavy side which doesn't help my shaking! I have heard that some people have opened up the transfer port and what they pretty much end up with is the 1720 velocities. Me? I have not opened it up other than the grip frame in order to understand how the 2-stage trigger works.

All in all, it is a keeper for me right now. Who knows, that may change down the road as I have had my eye on the new 1720's  ;)

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

The 1701P is really not an experimenter/tinker's gun. It is made to shoot and shoot well. It can outshoot 95% of the folks who own it.  It can be a one hole gun in the right hands.

If you get it, just shoot it and appreciate it for what it is.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

blake.l

Quote from: arkmaker on January 13, 2013, 12:26:50 AM
I split this topic out of that thread as we were jacking it pretty bad........

The 1701P is great right out of the box. The only problem with accuracy has been me. I shake a little, so really tight groups don't come very often. When they do, it is usually when I have it benched. Even then I am the cause for missing bulls. It is pretty quite all by itself, but I sport a TKO stage 5. Also, it is a bit on the heavy side which doesn't help my shaking! I have heard that some people have opened up the transfer port and what they pretty much end up with is the 1720 velocities. Me? I have not opened it up other than the grip frame in order to understand how the 2-stage trigger works.

All in all, it is a keeper for me right now. Who knows, that may change down the road as I have had my eye on the new 1720's  ;)

Thanks for the reply Rich, It sounds like a pretty good shooter to me, probably no need  to open up the transfer port if just shooting 5m & 10m. How many shots do get off a fill? Do you happen to have any pics with the TKO stage 5 on it?

Rich

blake.l

Quote from: quickster47 on January 13, 2013, 12:49:05 AM
The 1701P is really not an experimenter/tinker's gun. It is made to shoot and shoot well. It can outshoot 95% of the folks who own it.  It can be a one hole gun in the right hands.

If you get it, just shoot it and appreciate it for what it is.

Carl

Your right about that's.... Looks like a work of art and not much tinkering if any needs to be done.

arkmaker †

Well, I did add the grip set....

and I just realized that the other thread was "yours" !! Sorry about that!!
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Fronzdan

I have done nothing to mine.  Actually mine started as a 1700p, but I replaced the trigger frame to the two stage one, which makes it identical to the 1701 except for a different style muzzle brake.  Replaced the plastic grips.  It is the most consistent, smoothest, reliable and accurate air pistol I own.  Better than I can shoot it.  I get an insane number of shots per fill...something like 60 or more if I shoot it way down.  Just don't expect to hunt with it. 

The only thing that would be nice would be multishot.

blake.l

Quote from: arkmaker on January 13, 2013, 03:00:23 AM
Well, I did add the grip set....

and I just realized that the other thread was "yours" !! Sorry about that!!
Rich

Thanks for the picture Rich... Looks very nice :-* :-* Love the color on the grips...

Quote from: Fronzdan on January 13, 2013, 03:20:13 AM
I have done nothing to mine.  Actually mine started as a 1700p, but I replaced the trigger frame to the two stage one, which makes it identical to the 1701 except for a different style muzzle brake.  Replaced the plastic grips.  It is the most consistent, smoothest, reliable and accurate air pistol I own.  Better than I can shoot it.  I get an insane number of shots per fill...something like 60 or more if I shoot it way down.  Just don't expect to hunt with it. 

The only thing that would be nice would be multishot.

Yep target would be the only thing I'd use it for.... I'm in a wheel chair so wont be doing any hunting with it. I could have swore I seen an add for the 1701p that said it was multishot... don't know if it where a typo or I just read it wrong... Guess I'll try to find it again ;D

arkmaker †

The Marauder pistol is multi shot.

blake.l

Quote from: arkmaker on January 13, 2013, 05:12:15 AM
The Marauder pistol is multi shot.

Yep that was it ;D I've looked at so many different guns over the past month they run together :)

arkmaker †

Quote from: blake.l on January 13, 2013, 06:08:30 AM
Yep that was it ;D I've looked at so many different guns over the past month they run together :)

I understand that! That would be a nice pistol to have. Would like a multi shot some day. Just need more money is all  ???

mackelby

Will the trigger group from the 1701P fit on the 22xx's?

arkmaker †

Quote from: mackelby on January 13, 2013, 11:23:24 PM
Will the trigger group from the 1701P fit on the 22xx's?

Yes, with a little work. Quickster did a great write up on exactly how to do it. Do a search for the 1701P Trigger Mod and you should turn it up.

quickster47 †

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †