• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Bargain pellet find!

Started by MoWog72, May 27, 2024, 09:39:54 PM

MoWog72

Thought I should share my good fortune. Several years ago I used to frequent an awesome surplus store which has since closed. I was able to buy 60+ boxes of Crosman Copperhead (175 count) wadcutter pellets in .22 caliber for $25! Originally discounted to $1.00 a box. I had been shooting them off and on for a while with my now departed Crosman Quest break barrel rifle, and set them aside. They shot okay, but not impressive in my Crosman 1322. I recently came upon a tip to wash and dry dubious lead pellets and lube them with Endust (a dusting/cleaning spray). Boy was I surprised. Having a great time shooting in my basement at 10 yards with my modded 1322.
So, keep your eyes open!

Uslanja

Hi MoWog72!  I see your post is a few weeks old and hoping you will find my responce.  Shooting indoors sounds like fun on a cold or rainy day.  I don't have a basement, so if there is any indoor shooting here it would barely reach 20 feet and certainly not while the "boss" is home.  (I wear the pants around here but between you and me, don't tell anyone, I'm second in command in a two person home  :(  ) What do you use for a backstop?  How do you prevent a ricochet?  How many pumps are you putting in?  Are you sighted in for 10 yards all the time or do you need to re-sight for longer outdoor shoots?  I have a 1322 as well with a reflex sight and barrel mounts from Buck Rail in the US.  I usually put 8 pumps into it and punch paper at 75 feet.  Every shot is on paper but when I'm done it looks like a shotgun blast  ;D 

MoWog72

For indoors I made a simple wood box with a sliding front panel out of Masonite to hold the cardboard target backing. The dimensions are roughly 16" x 12" based upon a metal plate at the very back, and it's only about 2" deep. I use 7-8 pieces of old carpet to catch the pellets and it is very quiet. It is mounted to a wood basement door. My max shooting distance is just under 30'. I shoot standing or from a shop stool. For basement shooting I consistently pump 6 times with the 1322s. Lately I have been using smaller targets because I am shooting at 30' distance with a modded 1322 carbine with a 3X scope. I tend to shoot open sights at about 15'. Outdoors I pump the max of 10 and have to resight. With the 1322 carbine I'm mostly plinking metal spinners at about 50'. When shooting for distance you are getting into finding the right pellet. (Just my opinion.) When I get serious I break out the JSB pellets. I have a little over 100' in my back yard with a solid backstop. And right now I'm more likely to be shooting my Crosman 326 with metal breech and 3-9x scope. I don't claim to be a great shooter, but I'm having a great time. Thanks for sharing and I hope that I answered your questions.

Uslanja

Nice back stop.  I have a target for my crossbow that is very similar.  It is basically a bale made up of carpeting pieces about 2 feet thick.  How thick of a piece of metal do you have behind the carpet?  Does anything get that far through?  Spinners?  That sounds like fun.  Did you make them?  I just pound a stick in the ground and staple a chunk of cardboard to it with a couple of bullseye that have been drawn on to it.  Spinners might up the enjoyment a bit.  I like your indoor target setup.  You mentioned that your 1322 is modded into a carbine.  I have been thinking about modifying something into a carbine just for the fun of it.  Tell me more.

MoWog72

The metal plate/panel was a Home Depot purchase and maybe 2-3mm thick. Probably overkill. I really haven't replaced more than 4 layers of carpet at any one time. I place a garbage can under the target box to collect the shredded carpet and spent pellets (or BBs).

I was in the habit of going through a lot of commercial paper targets as far back as I can remember. You make a valid point that all one needs is piece of cardboard with just a simple circle, spot or cross drawn on it.

Outdoors, the metal spinners (or knock down targets) give you instant feedback. I have the Crosman 3 spinner model; 1 small and two larger spinners. About $15 on Amazon.

This is my current 1322; Crosman stock, metal breech, CVLife 3-9X scope, early backpacker pump handle, aluminum 1/2"-20 moderator adapter and Buck Rail moderator. Polished trigger and sear, compressed sear spring.

There's so much great information about these guns in forums like this.

Uslanja

Hi MoWog72!  It is the Canada Day weekend here and I've been busy with chores.  More livestock coming in on Tuesday.  I'm starting to feel my age but am so blessed to have this lifestyle.  Just haven't had time to check in here.  Amazon delivered a UTG Picatinny Rail and I grabbed the Crosman 32 mm Reflex Sight at the local hardware for the 2240XL.  Hoping to throw it all together later today and see if it can hit anything.  Then try to post a picture.

How do you like that stock and scope?  If I understand correctly, the pump and CO2 guns do not have a double recoil and therefore do not damage scopes.  I really like the looks of your kit!
 (That look is what inspired me to get a pistol that had mod potential).

Wishing you a Happy Independence Day coming up.  Hope you have great weather and get a wee bit ofshooting in!

rangerfredbob

That type stock isn't the greatest but it isn't bad for the price, I have several, main issue is the cheek weld is low with a scope... My 2240 converted to .177 with a long barrel and carbine stock is a hoot to shoot.

That's a good find on pellets! I would have definitely jumped on those
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Uslanja

Hey rangerfredbob!  Bummer to learn the cheek weld is low.  Any way to add a riser?  May I ask why you converted to .177?

MoWog72

Jumping back in. I agree that the Crosman 1399 stock isn't ideal given that has to work with a range of pistols with plastic and metal breeches, open sights, red dot or optical scopes.

I got a bit of adjustment by using different scope rings.

A Google search of "Crosman custom cheek weld" brings up some ideas. I've considered just using some split plumbing insulation.

I just took delivery of a Buck Rail adjustable stock adapter and Magpul MOE buttstock. (I had a weak moment.)

Installing the Buck Rail stock involves removing the end cap, which exposes the hammer and spring. The perfect opportunity to polish the hammer and upgrade the spring; then..what the hey...install a metal breech...etc...

I may need an intervention.  :)

Have fun shooting!