• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

I sure do need alot of help modifying my new 2240XL

Started by Uslanja, June 24, 2024, 01:17:28 AM

Uslanja

Good evening all!  Help!!  I'm losing my grip and falling down the rabbit hole! I picked up a pellet rifle a wee bit back, absolutely enjoyed it and bought several more.  I am in Canada and have an RPAL (Restricted Possession Aquisition License) so some of the rifles are classified as firearms, over 500 FPS. But here's where I went wrong.  Just last week a Crosman 2240XL from Crosman Canada was delivered to the house.  My intention is to modify into a carbine.  Seems simple enough, doesn't it?  Just throw one of those low cost 3D Stocks on, maybe a reflex sight and all is well.  Not so quick Pardner!  Well let me tell you something you probably already know.  The amount of pieces and parts to trick this little pistol out is insane.  Absolutely insane I say!  Oh my but that rabbit hole sure is starting to look deep........ and somewhat expensive  :o

And here is where I need some help.  Hammer springs, polished hammers, transfer ports, exhaust ports,  high pressure valves,  safepac and hand pump, (soon to be PPC and a ridiculously expensive compressor I'm sure.  Not counting the lawyer for the divorce)......

I need help!!  Is there counseling for this new addiction?

Seriously though....... where does one start?  Funny thing is I haven't even fired this yet :)  I was thinking right out the gate to add one of those trigger adjustment parts and a valve spring just to get started.  But then I see there are two stage triggers.  Along with the valve spring only seems to make sense and change out the transfer and exhaust ports at the same time.  With all that just might as well go for the longer barrel and if I'm doing that might as well add the safepac with an extra barrel band and forget CO2.

Dang, that's getting expensive for a pellet gun.  So, where do I start?  I'm open to suggestions.

Regards
Dave

farrlarr

In my opinion, you are going about this all wrong.  Don't even think about modifying the pistol until you have shot it extensively!  Find out how it shoots as it stands, find out what you like and what you don't like, what works for you and what doesn't.  Only then start to think about what you would like to modify to make the pistol what you want it to be.  You may find out that you really like the pistol as a pistol (Hey, you already have some rifles, pistols can be just as much fun and you may find that you really don't need a carbine.)  The 2240XL is a really nice pistol, accurate and the vast majority of ratings put it at 5 stars.  Try it, you may like it and not need to spend anything additional on it except for pellets to feed it.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Uslanja

Hi farrlarr,  thanks for the response!  I guess I could do that but my purpose for getting it was to turn it into a carbine.  But I am kind of anxious to put a few rounds down the tube.  It came with the steel breech but no iron sights.  It does have an 11mm dovetail.  I am an old school iron sight guy but the thought of coming on target quick with a red dot or scope might be fun. Would you just clamp on to that dovetail or add a rail?  I was also thinking about getting the 9 round GRAVmag so would most likely need to mount whatever sighting system a bit higher.  Any thoughts on the mag?  The idea of not loading single rounds has an appeal.

rangerfredbob

If you want a carbine, do that but I'm with farrlarr for the most part on seeing what you want different. A lot of people are very critical and do competitive shooting so expect the most out of things...

If it were me the first thing I would do is pull one of the grip panels and pull the spring you see (with the hammer not cocked of course), then compress it with pliers or something to get it shorter so there's about 1/8" of preload when installed. If you have a spent .22lr shell casing this would be an ideal time to put one on the top end. Shortening that spring lowers the trigger pull so you get a more consistent shot. You might be happy with the trigger after that and save you some money on an aftermarket trigger...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

farrlarr

I'm not familiar with the magazine but if you get it, you will likely have to mount the sight higher.  If you decide to use a red dot, I would suggest the reflex rather than the tube type, not for any particularly good reasons except esthetics and my personal preference.  I second rangerfredbob's suggestions regarding the trigger.  If you are convinced you need a carbine, go for it but, again, shoot the gun as is for a while before beginning wholesale modifications.
Larry in Idaho

Uslanja

Hi rangerfredbob and farrlarr.  I will take your advice and shoot this pistol for a while and see what it can do.  I agree on the reflex sight.  I've had better groups with those compared to a red dot.  11 mm dovetail is rather narrow.  Might as well just order a rail for it as well.  I'll go with it as a single shot for a while but I really like the idea of a mag.  I like the idea of lightening the trigger pull.  I'll get that done right away!  Thanks for your responces!

Dave

farrlarr

Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress with the 2240XL.  Keeping it as pistol or converting to carbine?  Do you enjoy the gun?  Etc.
Larry in Idaho

MoWog72

I've had my Crosman 2400XL for a while; shooting in the basement as a pistol with a BSA red dot. In the basement it is LOUD! I have to wear ear protection. (Anyone else?) It's a powerful gun.
I got it because my brother got one but with a Crosman red dot.
I've had a few CO2 guns, but I prefer my Crosman 1077.
Warmer weather is ideal for CO2 guns.
The 2400XL is a nice shooter with a stock and a scope, but still loud. My neighbors haven't complained yet. I have Buck Rail suppressors on my 1322s and I'm considering suppressors for the 2400XL AND the 1077.

Uslanja

Hi MoWog72!  Those are sweet looking guns!  I had to look them up for the specs.  The 1077 is a 12 shot semi-auto!  Ever nice!  I didn't even know there was such a thing in an airgun.  Crosman's web site says up to 780 FPS.  What pellet are you running through it?  Any feed problems?  How many shots can you get on a cartridge?  Have you tried it out on any rodents or squirrels?  Love the look of your 2400KT.  I'm really enjoying the pistol look with a shoulder stock.  What length barrel are you running?  A blog on Pyramid Air reports their 2400KT pushing a .22 - 14.3 grain Benjamin Domed Magnum at 558 FPS and his .177 - 7.9 grain Crosman Premier at 557 FPS.  I'm liking that!  How are you stopping the pellets when indoor shooting?  We are not allowed barrel end devices of any type on any gun regardless of propellant or velocity in Canada.  Too bad.  But I don't worry about noise where I live.  I like the mod options that Buck Rail offers.  I picked up a mount and a reflex off him for my 1322 and I'm real happy with it.  Sweet guns! 

MoWog72

The 1077 is fun to shot because it is multishot, relatively quiet, and has been very reliable with Beeman .177 hollow points. Some time ago there was great deal on Beeman pellets at Pyramyd Air; so I bought a LOT. I shoot them in my 1377 pistol as well.

CO2 guns work best in warm weather, so I can sometimes get through 5 12 shot magazines before there is a noticable drop. When that happens it's fun to try to compensate for the drop.

I have reluctantly dispatched a few squirrels with the 1077, but I don't go looking for live targets. I fence my garden so the rabbits don't get in.

Going way back I mostly favored .177 guns, but when Crosman reintroduced the 1322 things changed a bit.

I too am a former "powder burner" (mostly targets); but with the loss of my shooting buddy and limited access to legal and safe shooting sites I really got into airguns and I get a lot of satisfaction in improving my skill.

A benefit of this forum is to share ideas and to encourage others to "do their thing".  :)

Uslanja

I know what you mean by ever dwindling safe shooting places.  "Back in the day"......ahhh, just fading memories.  The amount of people and subdivisions on what was once large open farm land and plentiful forest land is mind staggering.  I think that is one of the big factors in my taking to airgunning.  I resisted buying into the air guns but now I can shoot on my place and not worry about anything leaving the property.  We still hunt deer on it but using crossbows now and leaving the rifles in the safe.  My powder burners, except for some .22 use on yotes bothering our animals, are pretty much safe queens now.  But just look at all the interesting air power that is available!  One of the thoughts that I have been contemplating is getting some replicas to match my real ones.  But I'm just not sure if that would be enjoyable or anguish from remembering when.  Have you done anything with BB's?  Quite a few replicas seem to be CO2 and shooting BB's.  Is there any distance or accuracy there or just 5 meter pop cans?

MoWog72

I understand what you mean. My in-laws had about 10 acres but have since relocated in retirement. I think like must kids, I got my first BB gun at Christmas in pretty much the same way as Ralphie in  "A Christmas Story".  :)  I had to do some research to identify the model ; a Daisy Spittin' Image" Model 94 Winchester. My father got  himself what must have been the Daisy "Spittin Image" Six_Shooter and I remember us in the back yard shooting mostly at tin cans.
In the 70s I had a Daisy CO2 200 multi-shot BB pistol which started leaking and was serviced through a local Sporting goods store at what I believe was more that the cost of the gun. Not long after it started to leak again.
I few years ago I bought my brother and myself Crosman 2100 Classic Air Rifles for Christmas as a goof. I'd challenge him to shooting contests... which didn't always pan out. LI like the 2100 as a open sight plinker with BBs and more accurately with pellets.
Thanks for prompting some good memories.
Keep shooting and have fun! Let us know where this hobby takes you.

Uslanja

Your memory story has started me thinking about when I took up shooting.   It was sometime around 71 or 72.  There was no licensing or any other nonsense then.  Every hardware store sold guns and ammo.  People weren't afraid of loud noises or their own shadow back then.  A man's word and a handshake sealed a deal and someone in trouble could always count on a neighbor or even a stranger lending a hand.  We came running to help and then went on about our own business.  Times sure have changed.  Anyway, I bought an old Lee Enfield in .303 and a 5 gallon pail of surplus military.  I had to think long and hard on that purchase because as I remember it cost 15$.  I've bought and sold more guns than I can remember over the years and now wish I had kept them all. 😒  I was working in a Ford car plant, two weeks days and two weeks afternoons and when on the afternoon shift would farm in the daytime.  Hundreds of acres of corn and beans with no one around.  I began shooting 5 gallon pails (they were made of steel back then, not plastic) from one end of a fallow field to the other and then back again.  That old rifle with a steel butt plate gave a sore shoulder and was it ever loud!  Couldn't do that around here today 🤫  Sure do miss the days of smaller government and no Kevin's or Karen's! 

COUNTYMOUNTY

Quote from: Uslanja on June 24, 2024, 03:19:24 AMHi farrlarr,  thanks for the response!  I guess I could do that but my purpose for getting it was to turn it into a carbine.  But I am kind of anxious to put a few rounds down the tube.  It came with the steel breech but no iron sights.  It does have an 11mm dovetail.  I am an old school iron sight guy but the thought of coming on target quick with a red dot or scope might be fun. Would you just clamp on to that dovetail or add a rail?  I was also thinking about getting the 9 round GRAVmag so would most likely need to mount whatever sighting system a bit higher.  Any thoughts on the mag?  The idea of not loading single rounds has an appeal.
I got a 5 shot Grav Mag last year for my 2240 plastic breech. It works great. I will be buying another 9 shots GravMag for my steel breech
Paul the CountyMounty