• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Expanding the Lifespan of Air Pistols: Myth or Reality?

Started by LollyanIca, July 04, 2024, 05:49:18 PM

LollyanIca

Has anyone had any luck significantly extending the life of their air pistols with regular maintenance and cleaning? I've heard various anecdotes about this, but I'm curious to know if there's any substantial evidence or if it's just a myth. Can routine care really prolong the lifespan of our gear?

___
This message was posted with XRumer 23 StrongAI - the world-best software for mass posting, registering, captchas solving

DHunter

I suppose two enemies are condensation (in pump-type AGs, not CO2), and contamination.  I ride bike a lot, and I developed a very effective graphite-and-paraffin (wax) chain-lube method over the years that makes my chains and cassettes last ten times as long as they do for people just using oil or even commercially available wax-based lubes.  The worst part about oil-type lubes is that the constant roostertail of fine sand kicked up by the front tire hits the chain, sticks in the oil, and the fact that the oil moves around means that sand gets worked into the joints where it does its grinding work, and eventually the chain skips.  Sand won't stick to paraffin wax, and doesn't get carried into the insides of the joints; but the wax by itself is not a very good lubricant, so I'm just using it as a binder for the extra fine graphite powder which by itself looks like soot, not sparkly flakes.  The drivetrain never gets grimy and never needs cleaning.  In most environments, an airgun wouldn't have the exposure to the fine sand, but still I wonder...