Heh... I just stripped a breech screw!!

Started by Steve-in-Kville, March 26, 2013, 12:54:32 AM

Flex

Quote from: brz-ryder on March 26, 2013, 01:14:58 AM
They should have them the next time you take your breech off rember the breech screw goes in first and out last seems like the big screw some times will move the breech and you have problems taking the big one out first gives you a better shot with the little one also when removing it sques the barrel and tube together hope this helps you out  :-*

Jim
I've taken the plastic breech off my BackPacker (and put it back on) once in the past and fortunately managed to do so without stripping the hex head of the breech screw. To be honest, I can't remember if I removed the large screw (at the rear of the breech) first or not. If I'm reading the slightly confusing and TOTALLY UNPUNCTUATED reply quoted above, that would be the proper way. BUT, I have seen a video and a comment in another post that shows/describes the opposite sequence to be the prefered method. I'd like to avoid stripping out the screw head. What is the best sequence to disassemble this area of a 13xx/22xx airgun? Thanks. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

quickster47 †

For what it's worth, I always put the breech screw in first and take it out last.  Has always worked for me.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Flex

Quote from: quickster47 on March 27, 2013, 10:20:44 PM
For what it's worth, I always put the breech screw in first and take it out last.  Has always worked for me.

Carl
Thanks for the quick reply. My nature compells me to ask tho, why you put re-assembly BEFORE dis-assembly. ??? Didn't you have to take the screw out before you put it back in? ;) My wife always gets PO'd when I ask this kind of thing. I guess it's just part of falling under the sign of Virgo :). Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

quickster47 †

Quote from: Flex on March 27, 2013, 11:07:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. My nature compells me to ask tho, why you put re-assembly BEFORE dis-assembly. ??? Didn't you have to take the screw out before you put it back in? ;) My wife always gets PO'd when I ask this kind of thing. I guess it's just part of falling under the sign of Virgo :). Flex

Easiest answer is because I keep all my guns disassembled and only assemble them when I'm ready to shoot a competition.

Second answer is because I am anal.

The third and final answer is what difference does it really make?  :D

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Flex

Quote from: quickster47 on March 27, 2013, 11:26:22 PM
Easiest answer is because I keep all my guns disassembled and only assemble them when I'm ready to shoot a competition.

Second answer is because I am anal.

The third and final answer is what difference does it really make?  :D

Carl
Do you get a discount when you buy your guns disassembled? ;D I'm clearly not ready for that discount. But I guess maybe I should strive for that :D ;) Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

WyoMan

Quote from: quickster47 on March 27, 2013, 11:26:22 PM
Easiest answer is because I keep all my guns disassembled and only assemble them when I'm ready to shoot a competition

Thats pretty reasonable for some of us maniacs  :o
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

MichaelM

I usually just end up replacing the breech screws with 6x32 button head screws... I learned with my disco which has the same tiny #4 screw that they are just way to easy to strip.... so I picked up a handful of the 6x32 button heads in stainless.... simple matter to retap the hole on the tube, don't even need to drill a fresh hole just start our tap in the hole that's there... its big enough it will recut perfect threads. You then need to hit the breech hole with a #27 drill bit and then turn the head of the screw down a touch and/or open the couterbore of the hole up a bit..... I usualy turn the screw head down to about .214 and then use a 7/32 (.2188) bit that I ground the face flat (or a 7/32 end mill if you have one lol) to counterbore the hole....

never strip a breech screw again and holds MUCH nicer...... combine that with clamping the breech for assembly/disassembly and life is a lot easier

ped

how do pellets load michael i'm finding with the slotted csk screws that they dont fill the hole properly and the pellet tends to tip because of it
sounds a good soloution as the standard ones are too small especially if your on hpa
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

quickster47 †

You can always put a drop of melted black Crayon or hot glue or sealing wax in the screw hole to smooth out the passage.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

MichaelM

Quote from: ped on March 28, 2013, 10:50:43 PM
how do pellets load michael i'm finding with the slotted csk screws that they dont fill the hole properly and the pellet tends to tip because of it
sounds a good soloution as the standard ones are too small especially if your on hpa
ped

the button heads I have are hex key... and though not as flat as the stock screw is it doesn't seem to give me to many hassles.... but then again when I am loading I usually drop the pellet down the bore anyways and just use the bolt to seat it... I so seldom ley the pellet into the breech and close the bolt that I honestly don't remember IF it causes problems loading LOL

ped

cheers micheal i'm going to try carls idea with the wax as its on one of my pesting rifles and sometimes dropping the muzzle to allow you to drop the pellet into the leade is not always possible
my other option is to swap to a hollow probe as i'm only having this problem with the pin probe
ped

crossliner

Yeah mine too..I had ss domehead allen screws that utilize 2mm allen keys lathed for my 3 Crosmans.

ped

looks good senor crossliner i 've got one 2250 that has a m4 screw in but i machined the head to fit a normal breech i think i'm going to mod a breech to take a larger csk screw for my hpa rifles
ped

crossliner

Thanks Herr P...Yes that be be the right move if you elevate to a more potent powerplant.