What's so great about the new breech screw location?

Started by AZAG, July 19, 2011, 10:12:02 PM

AZAG

Crosman must have had a reason for moving the breech screw from the "old" to the "new" location, so what does it do other than make moding more difficult?

Crosshairs

I think i was to close to the valve stem that's the only thing i can think of at least on the 1377.  :-*
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

It actually makes loading pellets a lot easier.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

Quote from: quickster47 on July 19, 2011, 11:34:19 PM

Carl
I don't have a problem loading pellets at least the pellets i use but it make's sense with out that hole in the way.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

people will argue that the old location is better for applying pressure to the TP area . you can fix the loading problem with wax,etc .... 
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

AZAG

Quote from: quickster47 on July 19, 2011, 11:34:19 PM

Carl

How does it make loading pellets easier?

quickster47 †

Quote from: AZAG on July 20, 2011, 04:54:17 AM
How does it make loading pellets easier?

With the old location when loading a pellet it has a tendency to get stuck in the breech screw opening.  That is why lots of us use wax or Crayon melted into the breech screw opening to prevent it.  Or others just hold the gun at the appropriate angle and then insert the pellet resting on the bolt to get past the breech screw opening.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

AZAG

Quote from: quickster47 on July 20, 2011, 05:00:21 AM
With the old location when loading a pellet it has a tendency to get stuck in the breech screw opening.  That is why lots of us use wax or Crayon melted into the breech screw opening to prevent it.  Or others just hold the gun at the appropriate angle and then insert the pellet resting on the bolt to get past the breech screw opening.

Carl

I had to go look at my 1377, but I can see how a pellet can get stuck in the screw opening.  I just point it muzzle down and drop the pellet in, but it's still stock.  Probably more of an issue when you have a scope and/or longer barrel.

Thanks for feedback.

Madkoifish

Dump some wax on it and smooth it out with a heated screwdriver or there is also board wax that's soft enough to form to it and sticky enough to stay in the hole.  Scope does get in the way for loading but it id often those odd pellets that are annoying like wads or destroyers that can easily flip or get hung up.Gets worse if you have replaced the breech screw with a cross or slot head.

I have not seen any pumpers with this "new hole" location, just co2 guns. I would worry about breech hold and alignment exp with longer barrels. Be nice if they made a tube and breech retrofit that was like a marauder with screws on either side of the breech towards the front.

pirouge

millipede

so where is the "new" screw location? i just got my new crosman breech in the mail today and its still in the same spot...

eric

Quote from: millipede on July 21, 2011, 01:34:48 AM
so where is the "new" screw location? i just got my new crosman breech in the mail today and its still in the same spot...
it is further back underneath the probe where pellets won't get hung up in the little hole
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

mr007s

My next build will have screws in both locations, Why, you ask? Because my tube is tapped both places.

arkmaker †

Quote from: mr007s on July 21, 2011, 02:06:35 AM
My next build will have screws in both locations, Why, you ask? Because my tube is tapped both places.

That helps to solve the worry about a loose breech or tight fitting TP.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: mr007s on July 21, 2011, 02:06:35 AM

Are you going to drill/mill/bore the second hole?  Does anyone offer a breech that has both holes drilled?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus