What's so great about the new breech screw location?

Started by AZAG, July 19, 2011, 10:12:02 PM

mr007s

Quote from: quickster47 on July 21, 2011, 02:19:32 AM
Are you going to drill/mill/bore the second hole?  Does anyone offer a breech that has both holes drilled?

Carl

I am going with a DC breech and will ask him to do both. If he doesn't I am prepared to do it myself. No one I know of is offering it at the present time.

arkmaker †

The only problem I see with having both holes drilled is in alignment with the tube. If it is not perfect the small screws will not engage properly. The smaller the screw, the smaller your tolerance! Best to have the tube and breech mated when marking the breech for drilling the through hole, then disengage the tube from the breech, drill the breech, tap the tube (if not already done). Drill and counterbore the breech seperatly. Hmmm, it's my day off and I'm working  :-X :-X You don't want to drill through the tube if the threads are already threre. No matter how careful you are, you take the chance of buggering up those fine threads.

Anyway, I still think it is a great idea and if you purchase a tube and breech from him at the same time, I bet he'll do it for you on the cheap. That's how I would go with it, the more I think about it.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

pirouge

when I changed over to a steel breech on my older 2240 crosman sent me one with the rear screw location, I think there all that way now, anyway, I ran into a common problem, with the rear location my hammer wouldn't work, it hit the breech screw, Allen at AB airguns sent me the new hammer with the cut out and hammer springs, now all is fine. It does make loading easier with wad cutters, but if you load with your barrel pointed down it never was a big problem before. disassembly now is a little different, but still easy. I still use crosman's breech screws, but bought a small e-z out  for them when they get rounded out, works just fine. Just keep a few extras screws on hand.

NorthStaR

Quote from: mr007s on July 21, 2011, 02:06:35 AM
My next build will have screws in both locations, Why, you ask? Because my tube is tapped both places.

My 2540 has a disco breech on it that has both old and new locations done professionally by the previous owner.

I'm currently only using the old location until I can alter a hammer to avoid the new screw (unless I cut a screw short) but
as the 2240 body tube has both holes tapped I will try it when I get a spare screw. Makes sense.

FWIW, if you go .25cal then the old screw position seems to become irrelevant. The pellet is just big enough to slip over it rather than into.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

KevinP

Ok.. so I am confused..my 2240 is a month old, the screw is in the forward position. I just got a new  steel breech from crosman,  the hole is in the forward position... what am I missing here ?  ???
Kevin
Albany, New York

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

breakfastchef

Quote from: KevinP on March 08, 2012, 02:27:50 PM
Ok.. so I am confused..my 2240 is a month old, the screw is in the forward position. I just got a new  steel breech from crosman,  the hole is in the forward position... what am I missing here ?  ???

All of my 13xx & 22xx pistols have the forward breech screw (old position). The only pistol with the new screw location was from the Crosman Custom Shop.
Larry

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

woody67

Carl, the BNM breeches have both screw locations on them...