What's the Point?

Started by jpip, August 12, 2011, 08:49:27 PM

jpip

Of a power adjuster? It doesn't increase velocity from stock does it? Just wondering.

Thanks

eric

a power adjuster can put more OR less preload tension on a hammer spring thus increasing or decreasing velocity --- it's makes (my bad) fine tuning much easier
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

jpip

Quote from: eric on August 12, 2011, 08:55:45 PM
a power adjuster can put more OR less preload tension on a hammer spring thus increasing or decreasing velocity --- it's mights fine tuning much easier

Ok, so it actually does increase velocity? What kind of increases from stock could one expect?

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure everything out that I'll need to do when I get my carbine to make it a 60 to 70 yard plinker :-*

quickster47 †

A 60 or 70 yard plinker is going to be a tough task.  Are you doing .177, .22, or .25, or maybe even .20?   What barrel length are you going to have for this plinker?  Are you going to use CO2, HPA or a MSP?

Not trying to discourage you but need more information.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AZAG

Quote from: eric on August 12, 2011, 08:55:45 PM
a power adjuster can put more OR less preload tension on a hammer spring thus increasing or decreasing velocity --- it's mights fine tuning much easier
I'm not challenging the explanation, just looking for clarification.  A power adjuster doesnt increase power by itself. Power increase comes from pumping more air and dumping it quicker.  So you mod until u can pump 20 times, turn up the preload tension to dump all the air in one shot.  If you are doing some 5 pump plinking then you can turn it down to save wear and tear.  Is that about right?

eric

wasn't detailed enough i know ---- like quickster said "more details"   .it depends on what type of gun the OP is referring to but it's still prety much the same idea .a msp ,say a 13xx with a FT piston and valve charged with 20 pumps might not release all of its' charge due to the pressure in the valve being more than what the stryker and spring can handle .thus install a PA and turn it in so there is more preload on the spring ,making it stronger ,so it can then crack the valve .with a 2xxx gun ,it allowes more time for co2 the flow thru the valve which will up the velocity.more work to the valve will help increase the velocity also.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

jpip

Ok, what I'm thinking is co2 2300, 2400, or 2500 with 18" barrel (carbine). I don't really know any further than that because I am uneducated on mods for crosmans. That's what I'm trying ti figure out. I would even be happy with a 50 yard plinker that is light and easy to carry around. Oh yeah, forgot to mention .177 just plinking and targets.

I have Air Arms pcp's that take care of the long range shooting, but obviously require a charge from the scuba tank every 35 shots or so. I want to just use 12 gram co2 capsules so I don't have to worry about the scuba tank.

Thanks for the responses and any recommendations.