What,,,,Exactly,,,,,is a 2 stage trigger?

Started by Red Harris, March 13, 2012, 03:54:56 AM

Red Harris

Can someone explain a 2 stage trigger, in laymans terms?
What does it feel like, compared to a stock 1377 trigger? Is it better?
The reason I ask is that Airguns  of Arizona is selling a 2 stage adjustable  trigger sear,  for the 1377 and I wondered if it would be a good Mod.
I can't provide a direct link, but if you click the link below and navigate to "Crosman 1377, then click "Custom Parts" you will find the Trigger Sear.
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

breakfastchef

I will take a stab at this question. On my Gamo springer, for example, there was an endless amount of pull on the trigger before the sear was engaged. What this meant was that I never knew when the shot would break. By replacing the trigger with a two stage variety, I know when I have pulled through the first stage (a stage where only the trigger moves a wee bit). As soon as I feel resistance at the end of stage one, I am sure the rifle will fire if I pull any further.

In a Crosman pistol, the trigger group from the facotry is coarse with a heavy trigger pull. With a trigger tune and a lightened sear spring, these pistols behave pretty well to the point I have gotten used to them. But, I am not always certain exectly when the shot will break. That said, I installed two Marauder pistol (P-Rod) grip frames on two of my pistols. The P-Rod has a two stage trigger and is super sweet. I am about ready to change over all my 1377s and 22xx pistols to this new trigger setup. While I like a well-tuned Crosman trigger group, I really love the P-Rod two-stage trigger.
Larry

RatRacer

ohhhhh...... Very subjective per user, but should be in the same ballpark, as my novice take on it.
As you initially draw back on the trigger, it should be a comfortable,  even pull (length personal) until you hit the 2nd stage (the bump), at which requires a slight additional extra (predictable) pressure to release the hammer on its merry way.
Benjamin Marauder pistol .22,  Benjamin Genesis .22, Benjamin Discovery .22, Crosman 2240 .22, Crosman 2400KT .22

Red Harris

Ok....I think I understand now......

So,,,,there is Definitely a difference in "FEEL" between Stage 1 and Stage 2.....

And that difference in "Feel" is what lets you Know that the trigger is about to Break......Is that correct?

I might have to try that 2 stage adjustable trigger sear from my original post.
They say that it is a Direct replacement for the Stock sear (no modification required).
There are 2 spring loaded adjustment screws, so you set it up the way you prefer your trigger to be....
For $30 ,,,,it looks worth the gamble to "Take one for the Team".....Lol

RatRacer

You got the gist of it. That predictability prevents the "suprise!" aspect at release, causing undo reaction to it, altering your point of impact.
Benjamin Marauder pistol .22,  Benjamin Genesis .22, Benjamin Discovery .22, Crosman 2240 .22, Crosman 2400KT .22

breakfastchef

Several forum members have tried the two-stage sear. Some love them; others are not so impressed. I bought one and sold it a few months later. From my experience, I would recommend that you put some Loctite on the adjusting screws. They tend to migrate. Also, do not go crazy with adjusting the screws; you can easily get the thing way out of whack. Go slow.

Just for comparison, you could buy a complete P-Rod grip frame from Crosman for a few bucks more than the two stage sear. A little modification of your stock 1377 hammer and you have a really nice upgrade.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=6188.0
Larry

JEBert

Red,
You are still going to want to polish your hammer and trigger.  You want it as smooth as you can get it.  Also, a lighter spring will help.
I have one of those Airguns Of Arizona 2-stage SS adjustable sears in one of my guns and I love it.  I also have a Crosman adjustable sear spring seat and spring set that comes on a 2300T.  In addition, I have a Don Cothran  SS roller trigger on that gun.  Nicest trigger of all of my Crosmans.  The other guys have described it perfectly.  I have about 1/16" of first stage that is about 1 pound or maybe a little less.  At the end of the first stage, you can feel it take about 2.5 pounds to break the second stage.  It breaks like glass.
I have polished every part of my other triggers, shimmed all of the slop out of them, and also have the adjustable parts with lighter springs from the target trigger.  They are a lot nicer than the OEM setup but not as nice as the DC trigger and AOA sear.
BreakfastChef is right.  As soon as I can afford it, I want to order the 1701P/P-rod trigger frame for at least one of my guns.  It will cost less than the DC trigger alone and a little more than the AOA sear.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Red Harris

Thanks Guys......
I was thinking that the AoA sear would be easy as my first Mod for my 1377.....no REAL modding even necessary.
I just opened the Side Cover on my Trigger assy for the first time, to look at it, just a minute ago. I am mechanically inclined, so it doesn't look too Scary.
There sure is a lot of Slop in there!....I can see where you could spend a lot of time/effort shimming, polishing and tweaking.......
My Trigger looks like it is Cast Iron, not Brass. Can you actually GET a good clean polished (no pits) surface on That trigger material, if I decided to do a trigger tune as a first Step, just so I could experience  the "Before" and "After"...?

Also.....Now that I have read through all of the "Trigger frame Adaption" thread, (and the other threads listed above),,,,I can see how Promising THAT mod would be.
Is the "Mellonair Hammer" in Production, or would I have to request a custom  hammer be made for me? EDIT...(looks like I have to custom order one)
Is the  2220-103 Trigger Frame now available for Sale from Crosman?  EDIT....(should be available. Has been over 1 year since production began)
Will  a Long Steel Breech work? (Quickster used a Short Breech, and he had to Drill a new hole?)

breakfastchef

Quote from: Red Harris on March 13, 2012, 06:06:13 AMCan you actually GET a good clean polished (no pits) surface on That trigger material...

Yes. It will poish up a nice silver once you get the top coating off.

Quote from: Red Harris on March 13, 2012, 06:06:13 AMIs the "Mellonair Hammer" in Production, or would I have to request a custom  hammer be made for me?

I understand you would request the 1377 hammer from C. Mellon. Alternately, it really is not difficult to modify the existing hammer in your 1377. A bit of 2-part JB Weld putty and some sandpaper is all it took for me to modify mine.

Quote from: Red Harris on March 13, 2012, 06:06:13 AMIs the  2220-103 Trigger Frame now available for Sale from Crosman?

I ordered one yesterday.

Quote from: Red Harris on March 13, 2012, 06:06:13 AMWill  a Long Steel Breech work?

Any breech will work.
Larry

1377x

if you want 2 stage get the p-rod trigger group
breakfastchef nailed it
closed mouths dont get fed

Noah

So, any updates on the AoA Adjustable Trigger Sear? Got one ordered but can't tinker with it for a while  :(
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

quickster47 †

Quote from: Noah on June 17, 2012, 08:37:10 AM
So, any updates on the AoA Adjustable Trigger Sear? Got one ordered but can't tinker with it for a while  :(

Wish you would have consulted with me before ordering one.  We could have fixed you up in a different way, more better.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Noah

Quote from: quickster47 on June 17, 2012, 01:05:14 PM
Wish you would have consulted with me before ordering one.  We could have fixed you up in a different way, more better.

Carl

"More better..." - I am all ears  :)
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

breakfastchef

Quote from: Noah on June 17, 2012, 09:03:42 PM
"More better..." - I am all ears  :)

Quickster has two files that would be helpful to you when setting up the AOA adjustable sear.

I sent my thoughts to you via PM.

Cheers
Larry